Double boiler; Who Has One?

The burner that you are using must be set to a the lowest setting to keep scorching & burning at bay. This could take a while for the custard to thicken.

Using a double boiler lets you raise the setting on the burner a little higher. This way, the custard is away from direct heat from the burner & the boiling water is cooking the contents in the upper pot or bowl. :wink:

Using a double boiler lets you raise the setting on the burner a little higher. This way, the custard is away from direct heat from the burner & the boiling water is cooking the contents in the upper pot or bowl. :wink:

This is a good point. I made a Sabayon the other day and using a bowl over water in a saucepan was essential. But a special double boiler isn't really - the bowl over water is as good.

I made some cheese sauce for broccoli the other day.

Rather than making it in a pot directly on the burner, I used my make-shift double boiler (pictured on previous page) To avoid scorching or burning it. It thickened right up from the heat of the boiling water!!

No burning or hot spots!! :wink:

I think the conversation has indicated that most people do not bother with a double boiler. Too easy to use a bowl on a pan of boiling water. One less thing in my cabinet that I really do not need.

I think the conversation has indicated that most people do not bother with a double boiler. Too easy to use a bowl on a pan of boiling water. One less thing in my cabinet that I really do not need.

It's so amazing about what a little ingenuity can do for you in the kitchen to help you make life a little easier when it comes to cooking!! Hah!! :wink:

The burner that you are using must be set to a the lowest setting to keep scorching & burning at bay. This could take a while for the custard to thicken.

I always use a low to medium setting on my hob, which from cold takes it to just above a simmer. The cheese sauce I had tonight was made on this setting, and I use it for custard too, without burning.

I always use a low to medium setting on my hob, which from cold takes it to just above a simmer. The cheese sauce I had tonight was made on this setting, and I use it for custard too, without burning.

I would definitely make cheese sauce and custard too, like this - but there are a few delicate sauces like sabayon (my latest thingy) which do need the bowl over water, I think.

Last edited:
I'm too afraid to try making custard or pastry cream without a double boiler or my makeshift one.

Too risky! When it comes to making these delicate things, they can be expensive to make, and so, if you mess up, it may become a waste. Milk, cream or other dairy liquid can scorch & burn pretty easily!

The water in the bottom pot is like a cushion or thermal cooking, if you will. Keeping the contents in the upper pot or bowl away from the burner, you'll never have to worry about burnt custard or whatever. :wink:

As i post more and more on here and folks may choose to read what I write, show(photos) and potentially grumble about, perhaps you'll learn how I like to reuse items for another purpose and/or find kitchen gadgets and cookware for very little $.

That being said, double boilers. OOOOOHHHHHH... a wonderful find at a second hand store for .50 cents, Perfect condition and yes I actually get excited over kitchen tools and cookware.

Back
Top Bottom