Double boiler; Who Has One?

I have quite a few. I have a pyrex flameware one i use for wax(i never empty it, the wax just cools in there, put the lid on and put the pot of wax on the shelf) and 2 visionware ones i use for chocolate(one for milk chocolate and one for dark charcolate) for when making candy. I also have a couple of stainless steal ones that come into play for various other uses, they are rather shallow so not as good as the glass ones. But good for keeping food warm but not cooking it kinda like for fondue without the fondue pot but not really like fondue.

I have a pyrex flameware one i use for wax(i never empty it, the wax just cools in there, put the lid on and put the pot of wax on the shelf)

What is the wax for?

2 visionware ones i use for chocolate(one for milk chocolate and one for dark charcolate) for when making candy.

Why do you need 2 - is it different for white chocolate? I'm a novice in any kind of chocolate work...

I use wax in a variety of crafts and use it as a resist.

Well if you are making chocolates and want both milk and dark chocolates in one candy you need to melt both at the same time so need two double boilers...sometime i have one of the stainless ones with peanut butter flavored choclate cause that is always good. Personally i don't like white chocolate so i don't use it much other than to color and use to decorate the milk and dark chocolates and if i do need to melt white chocolate then that is another double boiler going lol. I was tempted to buy another visionware double boiler today as the little thrift closest to my home had one but i left it behind. I just like that the glass ones sit farther down in the boiling pot than the stainless ones.

Mom always made chocolates for easter so i learned at her elbow. One of the easiest things to make for a inexpensive christmas gifts is chocolate spoons to give to coworkers so they can use in their coffee and cocoa.

My understanding is an old chicken boiled in water is called an old boiler, a term used here for an older woman that is past by use date?? It's a joke as a one liner.

Russ

Moving on... :D and back to topic.

I don't really see the point in having a double boiler in that one can use a bowl over a pan of simmering water - or in many cases the microwave (for chocolate melting, for example).

Everyone is doing that now.

Especially the TV cooks on the Food Network, such as Chopped, Iron Chef America, Barefoot Contessa & others. They make do with the utensils & equipment that they have, as they must compete for the #1 spot to win., or try to win - those who are in a contest.

I DID have a true double boiler, but lost it during moving.

Last edited:
Here it is. I still might get one, even though it is used!!
Visions Double Boiler..jpg

Here it is. I still might get one, even though it is used!!View attachment 22602

I have two of those...one was my mothers and one was thrifted by me a long time ago and those are my chocolate making double boilers...it is important not to accidently get water into the chocolate and these are perfect for that. Plus that glass holds the heat for a long time so you can remove the pot from the burner and bring it to your work surface and the chocolate stays at the right temp longer than metal.

Back
Top Bottom