Double boiler; Who Has One?

Why is it important that the water does not get in with the chocolate? I had one, but I've always used it for making custard for ice cream. :thankyou:

Why is it important that the water does not get in with the chocolate? I had one, but I've always used it for making custard for ice cream. :thankyou:

If water gets in the melt then it won't melt correctly it will seize up and not pour smoothly into the mold. That nice high lip on the visionware from you photo does an excellent job of keeping the steam from condensing into the melt.

Visions pot with poring spout..jpg

You mean THIS one?!! Got it just for that purpose; Also, to keep sauces, liquids & gravy from running down the side as you pour!! :wink:

View attachment 22646

You mean THIS one?!! Got it just for that purpose; Also, to keep sauces, liquids & gravy from running down the side as you pour!! :wink:
Thats not a double boiler, the pour spout is bad for melting chocolate as it lets steam out too much, a proper double boiler should not have a pour spout on the under pot

Its the one you posted On page 3 it is a good double boiler.

Thats not a double boiler, the pour spout is bad for melting chocolate as it lets steam out too much, a proper double boiler should not have a pour spout on the under pot

Its the one you posted On page 3 it is a good double boiler.

I never said that it was. You mean the one that Lucy was using on her show. My makeshift one, I'd use it to melt chocolate if I had to. :wink:

Last edited:
I am confused i thought we were talking about double boilers. You posted a visionware double boiler on page 3.

The one in the lucy vid is an aluminum double boiler and i saw one just like at goodwill but i avoid aluminum pots, they cool very quickly and don't keep things warm and there are those scarey studies that show aluminum contribute to allhiemers.

I think it's what I plan to buy. The one with the pouring spout is not. I'm getting the Visions cookware piece by piece, since it is so expensive now. Even used, which it is out of production. I love it!! :wink:

Staybowlizer..jpg

Thinking about gettting THIS to keep the bowls stable & also to keep the bowl stable for my makeshift double boiler!! :wink:

I think it's what I plan to buy. The one with the pouring spout is not. I'm getting the Visions cookware piece by piece, since it is so expensive now. Even used, which it is out of production. I love it!! :wink:

Visionware at the thrift round here are about $6 per pot with lid on average. So check put your local thrift store you might find the pieces you want.

I'll go check when this bitter cold takes a break. There's a thrift shop down the street. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom