Drinking beer direct from the bottle

Try drinking Guinness from the bottle using a straw. Served that way in a "trendy pub" in Leeds City Centre.

Took one look at the bottles then straight to the person serving. They don't use glasses. No glasses in what they called a pub.
Guinness is best in the bottle straight from the fridge when you get up in the morning. It wakes you up very quickly :D

It's been 30 odd years since I lived in Leeds and about 16 since I've visited.

There was nowt like that in my day, God forbid!
Just head down Neville Street, taking the first left after you come out from under the station. There's a road full of the places.

@The Late Night Gourmet

Yu reminded me of the time Dad decided to make beer. I was very young (elementary school) and do not remember all of the details. I know he used brown bottles and had some gadget for capping. He put his precious bottles in the kitchen cabinet to age. One night we were all awakened in the wee hours of the morning by what sounded like a barrage of gun fire. The beer bottles had exploded! :hyper:

Beer and glass EVERYWHERE!! We all pitched in but my poor Mother had the brunt of the clean up. Every surface in the kitchen had to be scrubbed down. We would find tiny bits of glass for weeks after.

Moral of the story - do not store beer bottles on the top shelf of the kitchen cabinets.

BTW - Dad sold his beer making equipment.

@The Late Night Gourmet

Yu reminded me of the time Dad decided to make beer. I was very young (elementary school) and do not remember all of the details. I know he used brown bottles and had some gadget for capping. He put his precious bottles in the kitchen cabinet to age. One night we were all awakened in the wee hours of the morning by what sounded like a barrage of gun fire. The beer bottles had exploded! :hyper:

Beer and glass EVERYWHERE!! We all pitched in but my poor Mother had the brunt of the clean up. Every surface in the kitchen had to be scrubbed down. We would find tiny bits of glass for weeks after.

Moral of the story - do not store beer bottles on the top shelf of the kitchen cabinets.

This can happen if you over-prime the beer. Just like in baking, sugar is the food that the yeast consumes. In the case of bread, the dough can expand and the sugar doesn't all get converted by the yeast in its time in the oven. But, the yeast in a bottle will consume whatever sugar is there and keep on farting it out (my technical term for creating carbonation). Combine that with what must have been warm temperatures in the kitchen, and this is what can happen. I always stored my beer in the basement during fermentation, but it was mostly because I knew that warmer temperatures can affect the flavor of the beer during fermentation.

Why don't you have basements? Serious off-topic question. One might think a cool underground room would be useful when it gets so hot there.

If the water table there is anything like south Florida, you dig 6' and you hit water. I've seen 1950's era bomb shelters built underground in older construction. Just like Terrazzo flooring, with labor rates today, it isn't cost effective.

@The Late Night Gourmet

Something similar with demijohns, they blew the airtrap & bung through the ceiling. Leaving the walls covered in a sticky mess.

I used to wrap mine in industrial pallet wrap, with a "catch it" trap covering the top.

@classic33 - educate me - what are demijohns? Too lazy to look it up.
This, with the airlock and bung(that came out) to the side.
5133Nu+br9L._SY524_.jpg

The household versions hold a gallon.

Back
Top Bottom