Drinks first ?!!

sidevalve

Guru
Local time
2:25 PM
You must know the idea - walk in to a café, fast food place etc and order and the coffee or tea arrives first. Then you have to wait for the food - result either cold drinks or none left when the food arrives. Am I odd - I like my coffee WITH my meal [or even after it] not before. I mean why ?

I daresay they do that so that you don't have to sit there with nothing to do. At least you can have drink while your waiting for your food to arrive. You can always order another drink when your meal arrives. Sorry, but I can't be bothered to get het up about things like that. Life is to short. I just go with the flow.

Just ask if you can have your drink with your food when you order
I don't like my coffee with my pud so I ask for it afterwards
If people talk to the waiting staff life becomes a whole lot easier
Like people that want duck well done I can't pick it up by telepathy

You must know the idea - walk in to a café, fast food place etc and order and the coffee or tea arrives first. Then you have to wait for the food - result either cold drinks or none left when the food arrives. Am I odd - I like my coffee WITH my meal [or even after it] not before. I mean why ?

I understand your irritation at the service but not your idea of drinking coffee with a meal. My Mum used to do that if she went out (but never at home). She would order a milky coffee with the meal. I find it really odd. Milky coffee sort of 'fills you up' so I wouldn't want to eat at the same time. But any sort of coffee seems odd to me with savoury food. It just doesn't match. Coffee with pudding I can do.

I was brought up with tea rather than coffee and we used to have mugs of tea with our meals. Somehow, I think, tea's astringent taste can work OK with savoury dishes. But coffee... I don't get that.

I always thought it was a ploy by restaurants and cafes to encourage me to buy more drinks. You know...you drink it before your meal comes, but then you want something to accompany your meal so you order something else!

A nice little money spinner for them!

I understand your irritation at the service but not your idea of drinking coffee with a meal. My Mum used to do that if she went out (but never at home). She would order a milky coffee with the meal. I find it really odd. Milky coffee sort of 'fills you up' so I wouldn't want to eat at the same time. But any sort of coffee seems odd to me with savoury food. It just doesn't match. Coffee with pudding I can do.

I was brought up with tea rather than coffee and we used to have mugs of tea with our meals. Somehow, I think, tea's astringent taste can work OK with savoury dishes. But coffee... I don't get that.
Same applies to tea, BUT coffee with pudding is ok as long as it's not cold - which is my point really.

I've already mentioned waitrose restaurant in another thread ,you order your food when you pick up your drinks ,as the food was taking so long it shows on their epos system and they bring more drinks complementary,and another set time you get your payment back and still get your food

When we dine in a classy restaurant, that is always the case. They bring the drinks first. But we make it a point not to drink before eating because that would somehow ruin our appetite for food. There was this steak house that serves hot bread and vegetable salad and soup before anything else. That's a good one because it sets up the appetite for the steak. And we have to eat slowly not only to savor the beef but also to allow proper digestion.

I agree entirely, I like a hot drink with my meal but it is either cold or finished by the time food arrives, may as well order a cold drink in the first place. I like a hot drink with hot food.

Hot drink before a meal is good for your digestion that is what I believe in. I sometimes do that but with warm glass of water but if there is coffee available the better. If you are a coffee addict like me it would not matter whether you drink it before, in between or after a meal.

I usually just ask for ice water before my meal and I sip at that until my meal arrives. If I want a coffee I have it after my meal or with my dessert if I order one. Most times I just have water with my meal but if I am going to a glass of wine or beer I like to have it before my meal arrives.

I like to have my drink next to me while I'm eating. It's usually something without ice as most of the dinning I've done is somewhere where the A/C has me terribly cold and I am not a coffee person. Usually the meal takes forever and by the time I am ready to eat I'll have to order another drink most of which I will not drink because I am so full. With my more recent dinning, I'll have water while I wait.

Back
Top Bottom