Dry aged No 1 beef bone rib

Roger Burton

Local time
9:28 AM
Website
www.rogerburton.co.uk
Well that’s what the butchery counter called it, about 2kilo and I want to cook it rare (though two of my guests will ask for it medium). Any advice please, they recommend 160c fan for 1hr 20 mins plus resting. This joint was quite expensive and it’s a special occasion so I’d like to try and get it right. Thought I’d serve with goose fat roast potatoes and french beans and/or some simple salad ….

sounds like "bone in standing rib roast"?
if it has been dry aged ... did they trim off the leathery bits?
hopefully a bit of fat cap left ...

160'C/320'F is doable - however I have found, especially with dry aged in the 10-20 day range, a lower / slower roast a better approach. I use 265'F / 130'C. not any lower though, 130'C will render the fat soft and moist, lower temps not so much....

I never use the convection fan mode on a big hunk....

you have a good thermometer, right?

standing rib roast, looks like:

I'm seeing two kinds of advice. Is this a roast, or is it steaks?

If it is a roast, you can cook it until rare, slice it, and do a quick cook of some of the slices in a pan or under a broiler (grill in UK) to get to medium.

I would not go any hotter than 160C (320F). I also don't think I'd use the convection fan (not sure -- I've only used a convection oven once).

CD

That looks like a rib roast, to me. :okay:

I assume that you already know that you have to trim off that dark surface on the meat, and the dried out surface of the fat cap. Looks like the rib bones have already been stripped.

CD

Just out of interest - why would you do that?

Um, because that outside layer is desiccated meat and fat? :scratchhead:That's what I've always seen chefs and butchers do -- at least in the US. Maybe a layer of dried out, moldy meat is a UK thing -- like Marmite.:wink:

CD

Last edited:
The butcher offered me another “prepared” joint that looked very tidy but a lot more expensive, I don’t mind having a go myself, nothing will be wasted …..

I have a mini-fridge from when I was waiting 3 months for my new full-size fridge to arrive. I plan to turn it into a dry-aging fridge, so I've been watching lots of YouTube videos on dry aging. There are some good ones out there.

In all of the videos, they trim the thinest bit of that outer layer off of the aged meat.

CD

Um, because that outside layer is desiccated meat and fat? :scratchhead:That's what I've always seen chefs and butchers do -- at least in the US. Maybe a layer of dried out, moldy meat is a UK thing -- like Marmite.:wink:

CD
I don't recall ever seeing any mould on any meat I've ever bought - even when its well hung. Darker, drier outer layer for sure, but mould definitely not! I find the dried parts have a much more intense flavour when cooked, and the fat renders down and leaves a very tasty crust.
If you use Heston's blow torch method followed by very low oven for 18 hours then the entire outer layer of your joint ends up looking dark and dried out on the outside. :D

I don't recall ever seeing any mould on any meat I've ever bought - even when its well hung. Darker, drier outer layer for sure, but mould definitely not! I find the dried parts have a much more intense flavour when cooked, and the fat renders down and leaves a very tasty crust.
If you use Heston's blow torch method followed by very low oven for 18 hours then the entire outer layer of your joint ends up looking dark and dried out on the outside. :D

I have been using blowtorches for years. I didn't know it was Heston's method, but what you get from that is a sear, not desiccated meat. It should be dark and a bit crisp, but not dry.

Dry aged beef does get a little mold/mould (American/British spelling) on it -- aged long enough, it can get a lot.

If it works for you, keep doing it. I'll take a pass on it.

CD

Back
Top Bottom