Duck Fat

Bakemehappy

Veteran
Local time
5:01 PM
I know a famous chef who is using duck fat in some of his recipes. I have seen how the process of cooking with duck fat is and I can not seem to like the fact that it hardens like lard. Would you recommend duck fat for frying or cooking?

They say that it comes close to olive oil and there are some good benefits for the health.I think it is a good alternative for cooking with pork fat.

If the duck was raised eating a proper healthy diet for a duck, I do not think there would be a problem with moderate amounts of duck fat. Animal fats can definitely work well in the frying process, so it would be worth s try.

I know a famous chef who is using duck fat in some of his recipes. I have seen how the process of cooking with duck fat is and I can not seem to like the fact that it hardens like lard. Would you recommend duck fat for frying or cooking?

They say that it comes close to olive oil and there are some good benefits for the health.I think it is a good alternative for cooking with pork fat.

Duck fat (or goose fat) fat makes the best roast potatoes! Also, its perfect for Duck Confit, where duck legs which have been salted and left over night, then rinsed and patted dry, are immersed in duck fat cooked & in a slow oven until the flesh falls apart. They can then be kept for many months in the cooled white duck fat. You can buy Confit Duck in cans and jars in France (and in Waitrose, I think) but if you make your own, you'll never look back! To serve, you wipe off the fat and heat the duck legs through, traditionally with lentils or beans.

I wouldn't have thought that duck fat would be any good in baking (but I'm willing to be proved wrong). @Berties will no doubt be able to come up with lots of ideas for using it

can be used in pastry half duck fat in its solid state to butter in the recipe,it makes good vinaigrettes ,
i have used it to deep fry ,seal meats and cook roast potatoes, it's the great fat for confit of fish or meat
its great because it can be re cycled and has a high flash point

can be used in pastry half duck fat in its solid state to butter in the recipe,it makes good vinaigrettes ,
i have used it to deep fry ,seal meats and cook roast potatoes, it's the great fat for confit of fish or meat
its great because it can be re cycled and has a high flash point

Vinaigrettes? That one surprised me! Used in same proportion as you would olive oil?

Its quaint artwork. Not the usual slick stuff. Now it all makes sense: a duck fat vinaigrette with spinach or potato or green beans. That would most definitely work. I was imagining fragile lettuce leaves struggling for their existence in the duck fat!
Remember olive oil is not best when taken from the fridge ,it's quite firm at 5 degrees and below,I wilt down gem leaves with a warm vinagerette in a pea ,new potato,and pancetta warm salad for a halibut dish at the moment

Remember olive oil is not best when taken from the fridge ,it's quite firm at 5 degrees and below,I wilt down gem leaves with a warm vinagerette in a pea ,new potato,and pancetta warm salad for a halibut dish at the moment
Oh yeah! Bring it on. I was just thinking about non-wilted lettuce salads when I read the idea of duck fat vinaigrette. Lettuce can be delicious wilted. I sometimes cook lettuce as a side in butter and garlic. Its also lovely cooked in 'Peas a la Francais'.

Oh yeah! Bring it on. I was just thinking about non-wilted lettuce salads when I read the idea of duck fat vinaigrette. Lettuce can be delicious wilted. I sometimes cook lettuce as a side in butter and garlic. Its also lovely cooked in 'Peas a la Francais'.
Petit pois a large Francais ,that's a blast from the past ,peas lettuce ,baby onions ,with a butter sauce made with frozen butter emulsion

Duck fat (or goose fat) fat makes the best roast potatoes! Also, its perfect for Duck Confit, where duck legs which have been salted and left over night, then rinsed and patted dry, are immersed in duck fat cooked & in a slow oven until the flesh falls apart. They can then be kept for many months in the cooled white duck fat. You can buy Confit Duck in cans and jars in France (and in Waitrose, I think) but if you make your own, you'll never look back! To serve, you wipe off the fat and heat the duck legs through, traditionally with lentils or beans.

I wouldn't have thought that duck fat would be any good in baking (but I'm willing to be proved wrong). @Berties will no doubt be able to come up with lots of ideas for using it
The way you described the process of cooking with the duck legs it makes me salivate really.How can I resist a slow cooked meal with the flesh falling apart or maybe with just a slight nudge of a fork? I am looking for some recipes about duck confit and also about making my own. I agree with the lentils they make a good choice to go with the dish. I think that is a local to French Pyrenees?

If the duck was raised eating a proper healthy diet for a duck, I do not think there would be a problem with moderate amounts of duck fat. Animal fats can definitely work well in the frying process, so it would be worth s try.
I agree with the diet that goes into feeding the ducks or any animals. Nothing is more delectable and healthy than animals fed with what they should be fed which is very natural and free from hormones and other chemicals. I guess my point was geared towards a commercial market and you are right there should be no issue if they were indeed fed with healthy food

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that those chefs are good at saving oils because its handy. I am with you. I don't like to use anything that resembles lard or shortening. The oil in lamb is the same way. I think we have pretty much come away from cooking with heavy oils.

I try to avoid any fat that turns hard at room.temperature these days and I really can't get over the yellow color that duck fat is. I am sure that it tastes wonderful for frying things in, but it seems like it would scream heart attack.

I try to avoid any fat that turns hard at room.temperature these days and I really can't get over the yellow color that duck fat is. I am sure that it tastes wonderful for frying things in, but it seems like it would scream heart attack.

"All in all, duck fat is a good fat," says Alejandro G. Marangoni, a professor in the department of food science at the University of Guelph. Good fat includes monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats, and bad fats include saturated. "Duck fat is pretty high in monounsaturated fat, and thus not too high in saturates," he says. "I actually have a jar of it in my fridge." So consider ordering that duck confit next time you go out for a fancy dinner. As you can see from this breakdown of one tablespoon (15 mL), duck fat ranks between butter and olive oil.
Read more at http://www.besthealthmag.ca/best-ea...-actually-healthy-for-you#zLlPvIhW5VYZu67m.99

Back
Top Bottom