Recipe Dum

Yorky

RIP 21/01/2024
Local time
7:18 AM
I am neither vegetarian nor vegan but I really enjoy this dish. It is adapted from an original Mridula Baljekar recipe.

Ingredients
  • 6 hard-boiled eggs
  • 5 tblsp olive oil or ghee
  • 500 g scrubbed potatoes
  • 1/8 tsp each chili powder and turmeric mixed together
  • 1 large onion, finely chopped
  • 15 mm cube root ginger, grated
  • 50 mm long cinnamon stick, broken up into 10 mm pieces
  • 2 black cardamoms, split open at the top
  • 4 whole cloves
  • 3 fresh green or red fresh chilies, chopped
  • 250 gm chopped tomatoes and the juice
  • 1/2 tsp turmeric
  • 2 tsp ground coriander seed
  • 1 tsp ground fennel seed
  • 1/2 tsp chili powder
  • 1 tsp salt (or to taste)
  • 225 ml warm water
  • 1 tblsp chopped coriander leaf
dum.jpg

Method

Shell the eggs and make four cuts in each egg lengthwise leaving 12 mm gap at each end.

Cut the potatoes into 30 mm cubes.

Heat the oil in a cast iron (or non stick) pan with tight fitting lid. Fry the potatoes until golden brown on all sides and remove with a slotted spoon. Keep aside.

Remove the pan from the heat and stir the chili/turmeric mixture into the remaining oil. Return the pan to the heat and stir fry the hard-boiled eggs gently until brown all over. Remove with a slotted spoon and keep aside.

Add the onions, ginger, cinnamon, cardamom, cloves and green chili and stir fry in the same oil until the onions are lightly browned (about 6 or 7 minutes).

Add half the tomatoes and stir fry continuously for 2 to 3 minutes.

Add the turmeric, ground coriander, fennel and chili powder and stir fry continuously for a further 3 to 4 minutes.

Add the rest of the tomatoes and stir fry continuously for a further 4 to 5 minutes. Add a little warm water if the mixture dries out.

Add the fried potatoes, salt and warm water and bring to the boil. Fit the lid tightly and simmer until the potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally.

Add the eggs and simmer, uncovered, for 5 to 6 minutes, stirring twice gently so as not to break the eggs.

Stir in the chopped coriander leaf and remove from the heat.

I hope you enjoy it. It's quite a bit of work but I believe that it's worth it.

dum 1 s.jpg

I am neither vegetarian nor vegan but I really enjoy this dish. It is adapted from an original Mridula Baljekar recipe.

Ingredients
  • 6 hard-boiled eggs
  • 5 tblsp olive oil or ghee
  • 500 g scrubbed potatoes
  • 1/8 tsp each chili powder and turmeric mixed together
  • 1 large onion, finely chopped
  • 15 mm cube root ginger, grated
  • 50 mm long cinnamon stick, broken up into 10 mm pieces
  • 2 black cardamoms, split open at the top
  • 4 whole cloves
  • 3 fresh green or red fresh chilies, chopped
  • 250 gm chopped tomatoes and the juice
  • 1/2 tsp turmeric
  • 2 tsp ground coriander seed
  • 1 tsp ground fennel seed
  • 1/2 tsp chili powder
  • 1 tsp salt (or to taste)
  • 225 ml warm water
  • 1 tblsp chopped coriander leaf
dum.jpg

Method

Shell the eggs and make four cuts in each egg lengthwise leaving 12 mm gap at each end.

Cut the potatoes into 30 mm cubes.

Heat the oil in a cast iron (or non stick) pan with tight fitting lid. Fry the potatoes until golden brown on all sides and remove with a slotted spoon. Keep aside.

Remove the pan from the heat and stir the chili/turmeric mixture into the remaining oil. Return the pan to the heat and stir fry the hard-boiled eggs gently until brown all over. Remove with a slotted spoon and keep aside.

Add the onions, ginger, cinnamon, cardamom, cloves and green chili and stir fry in the same oil until the onions are lightly browned (about 6 or 7 minutes).

Add half the tomatoes and stir fry continuously for 2 to 3 minutes.

Add the turmeric, ground coriander, fennel and chili powder and stir fry continuously for a further 3 to 4 minutes.

Add the rest of the tomatoes and stir fry continuously for a further 4 to 5 minutes. Add a little warm water if the mixture dries out.

Add the fried potatoes, salt and warm water and bring to the boil. Fit the lid tightly and simmer until the potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally.

Add the eggs and simmer, uncovered, for 5 to 6 minutes, stirring twice gently so as not to break the eggs.

Stir in the chopped coriander leaf and remove from the heat.

Last night i try this.. It's so amazing taste!!! Good combination recipe.This recipe was added my favorite recipe list.

I'm gunna try this, copied to my e mail.

Thanks, my daughter will get me that book. I came across an article about a classy chick in the 50s and 60s about 4 years ago,I giggled her, Anna Hoffman. Very interesting lady. Long story short, her books are nigh on impossible to get. Step up my daughter, she tracked a copy to a book shop in Auckland, she paid quite a bit for it. My Xmas present. About 6 months later her second book arrived at my door.

Russ

I always say giggle instead of the other.

Russ
I just settle for search engine but I do have a very sort after email address because it's my name at... I was lucky to have been around and received an invite in the days when they were needed. Signing up when it was still in beta meant I got that certain email address which I didn't realise it was that sort after until a few years ago . People often try resetting my password but I have it set now that you have to enter an 8 digit code previously generated and stored for later use to actually be able to reset it. They fail in their attempts but the number of times I get other people's sensitive email (from all sorts from lawyers ,schools about their kids, purchasing cattle, signing up to gyms, and even banking information where they themselves have given the wrong email address !) is ridiculous. None of it is suspect email, it's all checked out before I politely reply requesting they try another method of contact and that they remove my email address from their system ... Sadly no one has ever tried giving me money via PayPal using this email address!

I just settle for search engine but I do have a very sort after email address because it's my name at... I was lucky to have been around and received an invite in the days when they were needed. Signing up when it was still in beta meant I got that certain email address which I didn't realise it was that sort after until a few years ago . People often try resetting my password but I have it set now that you have to enter an 8 digit code previously generated and stored for later use to actually be able to reset it. They fail in their attempts but the number of times I get other people's sensitive email (from all sorts from lawyers ,schools about their kids, purchasing cattle, signing up to gyms, and even banking information where they themselves have given the wrong email address !) is ridiculous. None of it is suspect email, it's all checked out before I politely reply requesting they try another method of contact and that they remove my email address from their system ... Sadly no one has ever tried giving me money via PayPal using this email address!

Don't get me started on passwords, I've spent about 4 hrs trying to reset a car site I'm on.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom