"Dump Dinners?"

thegrey

Veteran
Local time
9:03 AM
Are any of you familiar with the concept of dump dinners and desserts? This is apparently a phenomenon where you just pile certain ingredients together in a baking dish, with little or no prep., and cook them. I have heard that the results can be very good, and can save lots of time and money. Has anyone tried any of these dump meals?

Cooking like this has always been quite popular in the UK, especially with those who have slow cookers. You can just chop your ingredients up, stick them in the pot and leave it to cook. You can make a casserole out of anything really, all you need is some stock cubes, some veg and either some meat or some pulses. Cheap and easy!

I have sort of tried these before when I had a variety of ingredients and nothing to really make a certain dish. You have to be careful with your combinations, but yes, these meals can turn out wonderful. Crockpots are good for these kind of dishes because all you do is throw everything in the cooker and let it do its thing.

I've made a dump cake several times. Every time I do, I think it's going to turn out strange but ends up being delicious...especially served with ice cream. All I do is dump a can of crushed pineapple into a greased 13x9, on top that I dump a can of cherry pie filling, then sprinkle a packet of yellow cake mix on top of the fruit. Take some butter and dot it around the top of the cake mix, stick it in a 350 degree oven and bake it for about 45 minutes or until the top is browned. Simple and delicious. I know a lot of people use this recipe when they go camping, they cook it in cast iron dutch oven over the campfire.

They remind me of one of the houses we used to live in.
We had a whole load of tinned food (canned food) and the mice that lived in the house (field mice in this case which are a protected species and you can't catch or kill them) ate all the labels off the tins! they used the paper for bedding through the winter...

Anyhow, when we had nothing planned, we used to play Russian roulette with tinned food... in other words, pick out 2 or 3 tins depending on how many people were eating that day, open the tins and that was your meal... some of the combinations didn't work, but some did. Very occasionally you would end up with a tin of cherries, a tin of pineapple and a tin of peaches and no main course but not very often!

SatNavSaysStraight, that is funny. Growing up, my parents often got canned goods on discount because the labels were missing or the cans were dinged up, so we'd play a similar game. Open up a can, and that's what went into dinner!

That's kind of how I make minestrone to be honest - when I'm in a hurry and not in the mood to make all the components from scratch. I just brown a little ground beef in a pot, then dump in a jar of marinara, a box of chicken stock, a few cups of frozen mixed vegetables (green beans, carrots, peas, onions, etc...), a can of kidney beans, some Ditalini pasta, then let it all simmer until the pasta is cooked all the way through. I may add a smidge of water if the soup is becoming too thick or condensed during the cooking process. But that's really about it.

It's also how I sometimes make "Italian Beef" in a slow cooker - just throw in a beef roast, some beef broth and a packet of dried Italian Dressing mix - then towards the end I may throw in a jar of Giardiniera (pickled vegetables).

I have yet to try the cake ones mentioned above, because I was nervous about them not mixing up properly, and winding up with dry spots of powdered cake mix. Does this sometimes happen?

Sometimes there are small spots of dried cake crumbs, but for the most part, the fruits and their juices bubble up during baking so they moisten the cake mix. I would say it ends up having more of a cobbler or crumble consistency rather than a cake consistency, so it's really good served with ice cream!

I have never made a dump cake, I have seen the information on tv about the cakes and meals. I'm sure I have made a dump meal often but never the dump cake, it does sound like it would be good with ice cream.

Back
Top Bottom