Recipe Earl grey-infused ice cream

Local time
2:31 AM
Now I really feel awful as this is the second time I have missed the deadline for the Challenge. Anyway I still decided to find something that might have qualified had I not been so tardy. I saw it and somehow though of @classic33. Maybe because it me be good as a smoothie.
9AlsB8BVqtTBgMHgRbund3.jpg

Ingredients
  • 250 ml whole milk
  • 125 g sugar
  • 500 ml double cream
  • 2 tablespoons loose Earl Grey tea leaves
  • 5 large free-range egg yolks
  • 4 shortbread biscuits

Method
  1. Put the milk, sugar and cream in a large pan over a low-medium heat, then stir continuously for 10 minutes, or until the sugar has dissolved and the liquid is steaming.
  2. Stir in the tea leaves, then remove from the heat and cover. Leave the tea to infuse for 10 minutes.
  3. Carefully pour the mixture through a sieve into a bowl, squeezing the loose tea really well to extract all the flavour. Discard the leaves and set the liquid aside.
  4. In a large bowl, whisk the egg yolks until light and fluffy. Slowly add the milk mixture, whisking continuously (so it doesn’t split) until combined.
  5. Return to the pan and stir over a medium heat for around 5 minutes, or until the mixture has thickened and coats the back of the spoon, like custard.
  6. Place in an ice-cream machine and churn according to the manufacturer’s instructions, until chilled and starting to solidify.
  7. Transfer the ice cream to a container and put in the freezer until completely frozen.

Source: http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/eggs-recipes/earl-grey-infused-ice-cream/

I plan to get one - either the traditional bucket type or the self-contained one. Somewhere down the road! :wink:
My problem is that I never have room in the freezer for the one where you need to use your freezer. Is that the bucket version? And I don't have room for the one where you don't need a freezer!

My problem is that I never have room in the freezer for the one where you need to use your freezer. Is that the bucket version? And I don't have room for the one where you don't need a freezer!

I mean the one where you have to add the ice and rock salt.

I don't have room in my freezer either for the bowls that you have to pre-freeze before using. Also, the problem with those units is that if you want to make more than one batch of ice cream, you'll have to pre-freeze the bowl again for another 8 hours!

Not really worth getting. You are better off getting the one with the bucket that you add ice & rock salt to, if you can't afford a self-contained unit. :wink:

Captain Picard's favourite ice cream!

Looks good, thanks, winterybella.

Back
Top Bottom