Easiest bread to make for a beginner

ally79

Veteran
Local time
10:57 PM
I have always wanted to try and make bread at home. What is the easiest kind of bread to make for a beginner? I have never done a lot of baking from scratch.

Here is an easy bread recipe:

Basic Bread

5-7 cups bread flour
1 package instant dry yeast
2 cups hot water
1/4 cup suga
1/4 tsps salt
1/2 cup dry milk
1/4 cup butter, margarine, or oil
1 egg (optional)

- In a large mixing bowl add hot water and margarine, stir to dissolve.
- Add sugar, salt, dried milk, and egg mix well. Add yeast. Stir to mix all ingredients and let set a few minutes until the yeast is dissolved.
- Add 2 1/2 cups of flour. Beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour (2-3 cups) to form a soft stiff dough. Do not over mix.
- Put dough on floured bread board or pastry cloth and knead until soft and silky.
- Place dough in lightly greased bowl and cover with towel. Let rise until double in bulk.
- Punch down and shape into two loaves,* 8½ x 4½ x 2½”. Place in lightly greased pans. Let rise until double in bulk.
- Bake at 375º F. for 30 minutes.

This basic bread recipe can be used for bread, pizza, cinnamon rolls and other breads you can think of.
Makes 24 rolls or 2 bread loaves.

Irish Soda bread is amazingly easy to make. https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/irish-soda-bread.30/#post-181

I have 'taught' an 8 year old girl with learning difficulties to make it and she was so delighted to be able to make it because it is really exceptionally easy and not one of these "opening the oven at the wrong point will kill it" recipes. The only downside is that you need to get hold of buttermilk which in the UK is easy - most medium to large supermarkets sell it with the cream or you can find it in farmshops. Ireland you can find it everywhere, even corner shops, but elsewhere I don't know.

Back
Top Bottom