Easter Eggs, Courtesy of Beet Juice

I haven't posted my kimchi recipe (yet), but here's a sampler. After a few weeks, everything in the jar turned purple, even the brussels sprouts. I have to think that eggs soaking in the same mix would do the same thing.
View attachment 6413
I found a tub of red cabbage coleslaw in the fridge today, still within date and very nice but the red cabbage had leached purple colouring into the mayo. Red cabbage seems to be out of season here so I guess the blue egg experiment will have to wait.

I should have included kimchi on the list of things I have never tried but want to. I saw a Judy Yoo program on Food Network earlier where she made kimchi. I gather it is a real superfood, but it does seem a little scary for the uninitiated. She even triple bagged the empty bag so as not to contaminate the bin!

I found a tub of red cabbage coleslaw in the fridge today, still within date and very nice but the red cabbage had leached purple colouring into the mayo. Red cabbage seems to be out of season here so I guess the blue egg experiment will have to wait.

I should have included kimchi on the list of things I have never tried but want to. I saw a Judy Yoo program on Food Network earlier where she made kimchi. I gather it is a real superfood, but it does seem a little scary for the uninitiated. She even triple bagged the empty bag so as not to contaminate the bin!

I'd like to try it too. Stateside I think its quite easily obtainable (ready made) but not here. The thing is that it isn't one recipe. Its basically a method of fermenting cabbage and there are many variations of spices which can be added. So there isn't really a definitive kimchi. I think it may be easier to make than it seems...

These were my pickled eggs in beetroot along with curried pickled eggs which were wonderful... I made them quite some time back now. I must make some more soon.

IMG_7048b.JPG IMG_7048.JPG

Wow, the beet colour made it all the way through. Nice. :highfive:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom