Easter feasting

“I like children. If they're properly cooked.” - W.C. Fields
Ah yes, he really disliked working with children on films....maybe they were too cheerful for his grumpy nature!

I like his quote "when you wake up in the morning, SMILE....and get it over with!"

Our part of the feast will be Polish cheese babkas (1 for the family, 1 for my mom to take home) and Italian stiratos, and Polish rye breads, all bought from bakeries of which the owners are immigrants from those countries.
Next, we're bringing shrimp cocktail, and a kielbasi/onion/potato/sauerkraut casserole.

I have to look up babkas...

Babkas are tall, brioche like cakes that are a little sweet, sometimes with even sweeter fillings/toppings, or in our case, a little savoury with a cheese filling.

Oh, no. I'm not a baker in any sense. I think the most baking we do is making apple pies in the fall after a trip to the orchard, and even then we use store bought crusts.

I would someday like to learn to bake. Maybe when I retire.

Our Easter feasting will be a little simpler than usual. I've bought everyone some Lindt and Cadbury mini eggs rather than large eggs as well as a box of creme eggs to share. I've made a chocolate cake decorated with mini eggs and yellow fluffy chicks instead of a simnel cake. We are having a free range roast chicken for dinner tomorrow but I will do roast potatoes, lots of vegetables and gravy. When I went shopping, I was disappointed not to get any cooking apples for a pie so I bought a frozen berry strudel.

Happy Easter
IMG_20170416_111417286.jpg

Back
Top Bottom