Easter

glittergirl24

Veteran
Local time
8:35 AM
Now that St. Patrick's Day has passed, I'm already thinking about what to make for Easter dinner. To those that celebrate. what do you usually make? I generally have ham, potatoes, and some veg. For dessert, I like making a funfetti cake with chocolate icing, and then decorating with some Easter candy. I would love to hear what everyone else does! :smug:

We usually have beef. My local family raises steers, so they have lots of it in their freezer. Usually they save one of the special cuts for holidays like Easter, so maybe prime rib or something like that. Then we will probably have potatoes and carrots and some other veggies. Not sure about desert though. Depends on who makes it.

We normally go over to my mother in laws for dinner and so I do not think I will have to make anything. I am going to bake some cupcakes to have around the house though. It is my plan this year to really go all out and have fun decorating the cupcakes.

I'll also be baking cakes & pies for a big family Easter dinner next month!

This dinner was first initiated last spring by my oldest brother. It'll take place again this year, later next month.
It is sort of like a mini family reunion! We all get together & celebrate Easter weekend. Everyone is asked to make something and bring it. We even have dancing & music as well! The kids also like to get in on the act and steal some of the thunder!! They just LOVE to dance, run around and make noise!! Hah!! :wink:

I would usually spend Easter at a family member, so I would not be "cooking up a storm" at this time. However, what we usually eat on this day consist of baked ham, baked chicken, macaroni pie, peas and rice and potato salad, along with steamed vegetables and tossed salad. Dessert would normally consist of ice cream and some kind of cake, usually vanilla or chocolate.

I like to cook for the family on Easter a large meal usually a turkey and a ham and lots of vegetables to go with it. I will get a cake and some ice cream and the snacks that they like to have. Easter is my day to spoil my family, all the other holidays we pitch in and everyone brings something. I don't make bread so I always get the frozen bread that will raise and taste like I made them.

We don't really have any traditional menu for Easter. I guess in the States ham is the popular meat to serve. Sometimes I think the u.s. Easter menu is just a variation of the Thanksgiving menu!

I'm always trying to find something to cook that we can turn into a tradition, but I have yet to figure out what to do for Easter.

In my mother country we celebrating Easter and are preparing our traditional foods to commemorate this occasion. Of course there are Easter eggs and candies hunting too for the kids within the neighborhood. But here in my husband country they do not celebrate Easter because there are only few Catholics here and their Religion does not celebrate this kind of religious beliefs..

Our mom did that also.

She would cook her butt off, making just about everything that she could think of!! I used to do it also, but not any more! Too much work from start to finish!! I've long stopped cooking like that!! :stop:

It seems like people in my life are celebrating this holiday less & less that is unless they have children. It's pretty rare that my childless friends do anything for Easter.

It seems like people in my life are celebrating this holiday less & less that is unless they have children. It's pretty rare that my childless friends do anything for Easter.

It IS the children who usually benefit from this special holiday, mainly because they get to be all dolled up & dressed to the nines before they go to church, and then when they come back home, they get to hunt for Easter eggs in the backyard or in the house. Then comes Easter Dinner!

We did those things as kids. Now all I do is make a special dinner. It is not as exciting as it was when we were all kids growing up and waiting patiently for that very special day. We would go around the neighborhood, bragging about the dressy outfits that we were about to don on Easter morning after taking baths the night before. There were so many of us that we took our baths the night before, going to bed afterwards, in strong anticipation of being able to go to church in our Sunday-best classy outfits!!

And then, our parents made us get out of those outfits and put back on our ordinary clothes!

Childhood memories of Eater Sunday! So great!! :wink:

It's true that people seem to celebrate Easter a lot less these days. The religious element of Easter tends to be overlooked too. It's nice for the kids to have some fun at this time of the year but I never really bother myself.

Back
Top Bottom