Eating at the theatre

epicuric

Legendary Member
Local time
3:36 PM
All over the UK press this week:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38075544

I'm with Imelda on this one, but is it down to age/manners/upbringing or just changing habits? It never occurred to me that people did eat at the theatre, but I've not been for a while. Then again people seem increasingly unable to go anywhere without clutching either a bottle of water or worse still a paper cup of ridiculously expensive American coffee.

Guilty as charged. If not food then a drink. But not things that rustle or smell. But I've only been to the theatre twice in the last 20 years! I'm one of those people who can't sit and watch anything unless I've got something 'oral' going on. Fags used to fit the bill...

Must admit the last time I visited the theatre is was spoiled by a moron with popcorn [no really !] and a mobile phone. Never bothered going since

Must admit the last time I visited the theatre is was spoiled by a moron with popcorn [no really !] and a mobile phone. Never bothered going since
Yes, had the same experience at the cinema - ended up sitting behind some muppet, elbow deep in a noisy bucket of popcorn and slurping on a gallon of cola through a straw. Experience ruined.

Last edited:
I guess that it fine if your expectations are thus set when you buy your ticket.
Don't know. At the price of the tickets and the meals, we haven't been there and don't plan to go either.
But it is always packed. So much so that they opened another one.

Don't know. At the price of the tickets and the meals, we haven't been there and don't plan to go either.
But it is always packed. So much so that they opened another one.
With you on that - I'd give it a wide berth!

Now I am assuming we are talking about movie theaters rather than oh say the Globe Theatre.
Which by the way we do have a Globe Theatre here.

Any theatre. You have a Globe? As in like Shakespearian? Although I believe they used to eat full blown meals there, albeit without noisy packaging. Probably no teeth either.

And interestingly enough, your Globe Theatre is now based on ours.
Actually I would guess they are BOTH based on the original and I suppose like most theatres of the time a rowdy noisy and pretty unsavoury place it was. Throwing things at the players - shouting at other members of the audience - ahh I miss the old days :bravo:

I wonder if cinema's are increasingly pushing sales of popcorn and soft drinks to make up for dwindling revenue from ticket sales. Last twice we went to our local cineworld it was practically empty, and it was to see two excellent films as well - Lady in a Van and Dads Army. Ironically, the more food and drink they sell the more they put some people off going altogether.

We buy a bottle of water each when at the cinema and that is it. I don't understand peoples need to sit and eat through a movie. The last 1 we went to the guy had a bag of minstrels which made a lot of noise, he then disturbed a lot of people when he got up to shuffle past them to leave, slammed the door behind himself, slammed it when he came back in, disturbed everyone again to sit down then made a heck of a racket unwrapping an icecream lolly!

We buy a bottle of water each when at the cinema and that is it. I don't understand peoples need to sit and eat through a movie. The last 1 we went to the guy had a bag of minstrels which made a lot of noise, he then disturbed a lot of people when he got up to shuffle past them to leave, slammed the door behind himself, slammed it when he came back in, disturbed everyone again to sit down then made a heck of a racket unwrapping an icecream lolly!
Have to ask what are minstrels? Google was no help.

Back
Top Bottom