Eating habits affected by the weather

epicuric

Legendary Member
Local time
6:38 PM
How does the weather affect your eating habits? Are there psychological, or even physiological factors at work that affect your appetite at different times of year?

I have noticed that with the onset of Autumn and colder weather my eating habits have changed, mainly regarding breakfast. For the past few weeks pretty much every breakfast has been based around toast, and my waistline will testify to this. I no longer think of eating a bowl of fresh fruit, or even cereal with cold milk, which would be common throughout the summer. It got me wondering whether I am just craving hot food due to cold weather, or maybe there is some deep primeval instinct at work making me squirrel away calories to better face the Winter.

It could be both the fall in temperature and seasonal body clocks - I know that levels of light and type of light has proven effect on how we perceive food. If you get a chance, listen to Kitchen Cabinet broadcast yesterday on Radio 4 where colour/light and taste is explored. Its an excellent and amusing programme in any case, if you haven't come across it.

There are also strong cultural associations with the seasons which stem from our childhood which probably kick in.

Last edited:
It could be both the fall in temperature and seasonal body clocks - I know that levels of light and type of light has proven effect on how we perceive food. If you get a chance, listen to Kitchen Cabinet broadcast yesterday on Radio 4 where colour/light and taste is explored. Its an excellent and amusing programme in any case, if you haven't come across it.

There are also strong cultural associations with the seasons which stem from our childhood which probably kick in.
Thanks, I will look on iPlayer for it.

When the weather starts to get cooler, I find myself wanting to make more hearty things, like stews and casseroles. Is this my way of storing up energy for the winter? This is strange when I think about it: I do eat hot food during the summer. But, frequently that food is also spicy, which is more prone to make me perspire (and thus cool off). I don't question why I don't feel like making things like ice cream in the winter - why would I want to make myself even colder? - but the rest of it does seem seasonal. And, I'm certain that tradition has something to do with it, too.

Many days the weather is close to 90°. I shop what's in Season, but I'm not always up for a heavy meal when it's hot. Instead of a big meal like a roast etc., I might opt for a big salad with apples, walnuts, blue cheese, cranberries, mixed greens. Today I want stuffed jack-o'-lantern bell peppers with a side of white cheddar macaroni and cheese lol. Depends on my mood.

Happy Halloween. :)

https://www.bing.com/search?q=jack o lantern stuffed peppers&qs=n&form=QBRE&sp=-1&pq=jack o lantern stuffed peppers&sc=8-30&sk=&cvid=206E7B6AAB1E40BB9CC78930D7684BFF

Last edited:
In summer we eat light meals of stir frys, salads etc but when winter arrives stews, broths. Storing up calories and warming through on bitterly cold days.

Back
Top Bottom