Egg Banjo ?

sidevalve

Guru
Local time
8:24 AM
Curious about the name egg banjo for an egg sandwich. Seems pretty common oop norf [north east anyhow] - don't know about anywhere else. One explanation I received was from a friend [ex soldier] who suggested the name came from the weird dance performed when you bite into one and runny yolk drips onto your front. Sort of holding the thing at arms length with one hand and flicking the escaped yolk away with the other, a bit like playing a banjo. Anybody else heard of the term and have any ideas ?

Curious about the name egg banjo for an egg sandwich. Seems pretty common oop norf [north east anyhow] - don't know about anywhere else. One explanation I received was from a friend [ex soldier] who suggested the name came from the weird dance performed when you bite into one and runny yolk drips onto your front. Sort of holding the thing at arms length with one hand and flicking the escaped yolk away with the other, a bit like playing a banjo. Anybody else heard of the term and have any ideas ?

Flicking away the yolk :ohmy:

Hmm, yolk should be dripped on something like home fries so it's not lost.

We have the "stoop", especially with Italian American foods like the Chicago beef sandwich, or a double dipped French dip .

It's where you're eating handheld food so drippy you lean forward and down a bit so as not to get it on your clothes.

I hadn't heard this before but just asked my friend - he grew up in London and said a runny egg sandwich was known as an Eggy Banjo when he was a kid. So it obviously isn't just a Northern term.

It seems they are also a popular Malaysian street food! A legacy of the British Army presence in the war, no doubt.

We went into our local garden centre this morning for a breakfast offer, tea and a roll with any 3 items for I think about 3.50, we both had bacon, sausage and egg with a runny yolk :hungry:

Oh yes, and we bought some garden stuff as well :laugh:

Yes. As a kid we used to call them eggy banjos. I'd forgotten all about that.

Back
Top Bottom