Recipe Egg 'bun'

Discussion in 'Eggs, Cheese and Dairy' started by Herbie, May 8, 2018.

1. Herbie

Herbie Senior Member

20180507_112930.jpg
    This is a recipe inspired by an article in the Huffington post for a burger bun made from egg.

Beat the egg and add salt and pepper.
    Pour egg mixture into a small, round, flat bottomed container (I used a small Tupperware pot) and put in the freezer.
    When ready, dip the frozen egg mixture in flour, beaten egg, then breadcrumbs (I used GF).
    Heat 2-3 inches of in in a pan. When hot add the 'bun'. Turn down heat to medium-high and cook for 3 minutes. Turn over (spoon over some hot oil to the top if it is too wet to turn.). Cook for another 3 minutes.

This was delicious, but I think would be far too rich as a burger bun. It was lovely with a slice of toast for breakfast.

Last edited: May 8, 2018
    medtran49, Shermie and morning glory like this.
  2. morning glory

morning glory Obsessive cook Staff Member Recipe Challenge Judge

Its a most unusual recipe - I am trying to imagine how it would be. I'll have to try it and photograph it if I can.

3. morning glory

Ah - I see you have added a photo since I last looked. It does look as if its a snack in itself - I can't see why it is supposed to stand in for a bun! I have my egg in the freezer and will try this out tomorrow.

4. Herbie

Herbie Senior Member

Sorry, forgot to add the photo before.

No, I don't get the bun thing either but it is certainly nice by itself.

5. morning glory

I made this today - it all went wrong! The oil was far too hot so the coating got well cooked before the filling. I stupidly took it out and stabbed it with a sharp knife to see if the filling was cooked and then put it back in - result was egg spurting out into the frying oil. I hastily removed it and tried to finish cooking it in the microwave...

The concept is probably quite good and I added tarragon to the beaten egg which worked well. But getting the oil temperature right is obviously crucial.

fullsizeoutput_3417.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_341b.jpeg

Herbie likes this.
  6. Herbie

Herbie Senior Member

The end result looks great. What did you think of it?

7. rascal

rascal Senior Member

How did you find it? I'm curious now,lol.

Russ

8. morning glory

It was rather nice - would have been better if the outside had been golden brown rather than dark. The middle was a little runny which I like - and the tarragon flavour was good.

If I could achieve a perfect curdy soft scrambled egg deep fried in breadcrumbs by using this method then it would be fantastic - but its more like an omelette and I was left thinking: why not simply cook a slightly runny omelette and then coat in egg and breadcrumbs and deep fry. Obviously it would be a different shape though.

I'm not sure if the centre of the 'bun' is meant to be more like scramble or more set egg. How did yours turn out inside, @Herbie?

rascal likes this.
  9. morning glory

...furthermore I struggle to understand why it is supposed to substitute for a bun. It would be far too rich to eat two of them with a burger in between.