Eggsperiments in peeling hard boiled eggs

Gosh! You would think that would mean they come out 'rubbery'. And might they explode? :ohmy:
That was my thinking too. But the guy is 71 and has been using a pressure cooker since he was 7.
I like you would be worried about explosions and it doesn't take that long to boil eggs anyway.

Exact words.

Same as with an open pot -
Water to cover -
Tablespoon of salt -
Boil for about 1/3 of the usual time once the
pressure builds up.

Do
Interesting. Do I dare get my pressure cooker out? (see New Thread).
Definitely give the pressure cooker a try....its no quicker than boiling them but it makes peeling them MUCH easier (even with very fresh eggs). It works (almost) every time for me, I've only ever had one crack but I've had them crack when boiling them too so I guess that was probably a fault of the egg rather than the cooking process ;-)

http://www.hippressurecooking.com/cracked-soft-medium-and-hard-boiled-eggs-in-the-pressure-cooker/

Definitely give the pressure cooker a try....its no quicker than boiling them but it makes peeling them MUCH easier (even with very fresh eggs). It works (almost) every time for me, I've only ever had one crack but I've had them crack when boiling them too so I guess that was probably a fault of the egg rather than the cooking process ;-)

http://www.hippressurecooking.com/cracked-soft-medium-and-hard-boiled-eggs-in-the-pressure-cooker/
I'll give it a go. The culprit eggs are The Black Farmer eggs from Ocado. They have stunning orange yolks but a really tough inner membrane. Have you ever tried them @MrsDangermouse?

No I've never tried them, we tend to buy our eggs from the local market....no idea what breed they are but they look pretty much the same as normal eggs.

I'd be interested to know if the Black Farmer eggs taste any different?

No I've never tried them, we tend to buy our eggs from the local market....no idea what breed they are but they look pretty much the same as normal eggs.

I'd be interested to know if the Black Farmer eggs taste any different?
Its difficult to say! I think they taste a bit 'creamier' - but that could be a psychological effect because they look so good. The nearest to them is Cotswold Legbar (sold in Waitrose in blue packets - see here Ful Medames ) they have yolks nearly as orange and I think they do taste better. They have pretty blue shells, too! Give them a go and tell me what you think if you can get to a Waitrose...

I peeled this today. Hard boiled cooked as I normally do and peeled at about 5 degC over (my) room temperature under running water. 95% perfect but still the yolk was not in the centre.

october 95 s.jpg

I peeled this today. Hard boiled cooked as I normally do and peeled at about 5 degC over (my) room temperature under running water. 95% perfect but still the yolk was not in the centre.

View attachment 10773

Do you think if an egg was boiled pointy side down (not sure how to hold it in that position) the yolk might drop to the centre?

Something of this ilk may work (turned upside down) but where you will get one from I don't know.

conical1.jpg

I really can't believe this has worked! Before boiling I gave the egg a few vigorous downward shakes (holding it round side up so that the yolk would shake down to the centre. Then I boiled it pointy side down held in the tbsp end of a ceramic measuring spoon which has a flat bottom.

20171004_121333.jpg

It occurred to me afterwards that perhaps I could have used this fridge insert for eggs:

20171004_122154.jpg

Anyway, here is the result (a rather badly peeled egg) :

20171004_121234.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom