Electric Kettles?

They are not as popular in Australia as the UK, and the range available isn't anywhere near as good, but they do exist in Australia as well. The coffee machines are quite popular here, but serious money. However more people tend to buy a coffee on their way to work. You'll often see long queues outside coffee shops and cafes any day of the week (not just week days) with most of these places opening at 7am. People here usually bring their own mugs to places as well, especially so if they are regulars.

This is my kettle. It's a 2400W kettle. I like to be able to see the water level clearly. I find it forces you into boiling less water when you can see exactly how much you didn't use but did boil.

20180608_073513.png

I have one of these

4239712_R_Z001A_UC1664030.jpg

It beeps when the water reaches the desired temperature (choice of 4) and the temperatures light up as it heats. It also has a useful keep warm facility. It is very quick and will heat just one cup of water too. I must admit it was rather expensive, but I've had it for years and find it ideal for me with my dicky eyesight and unpredictable hearing :D

I did not have an electric kettle til about 9 months ago when i saw a copper colored glass kettle at Target, i had to have it. I don't drink tea but it is great for warming water to make grits in the morn or couscous for dinner. Up til then i used a funky looking stove top kettle my mom had.

Its funny i never even thought about electric kettles since college as they were popular with some of the dorm students til i was in a forum somewhere online and there was a debate about the difference between a kettle and a teapot...some fellow Americans call a kettle a teapot but thats kinda odd cause they are very different.

I'm thinking of getting a new electric kettle

I've had plastic ones, but they eventually leak.
At the moment I'm on my second stainless steel one. As before, the main body is in good condition, but the black plastic lid has started to break up and shed bits into the water

I live on my own, and most of the use is for cups of tea & coffee, and even on the minimum capacity it needs about 3 or 4 cupfuls, which seems a waste
From another forum someone suggested that I get a one-cup boiler/dispenser. The Breville VKJ142 Hot Cup seems as good as any

Sometimes I boil a kettle full of water for washing up, as it takes a while for hot water to work it's way from the central heating boiler
So I'll probably get the Breville and just use the kettle for washing up, where an odd bit of plastic won't matter so much. When it does become too bad any replacement should last longer as I won't be using it for drinks

At the moment I'm on my second stainless steel one. As before, the main body is in good condition, but the black plastic lid has started to break up and shed bits into the water

I found with my first Tefal that the plastic had cracked a result of it being in sunlight (I believe) for part of the day. Our new one is positioned so it is never in the sunlight and has lasted well. I appreciate that we probably get more hours sunlight/day that Lancashire but it still may be the reason.

I'm thinking of getting a new electric kettle

I live on my own, and most of the use is for cups of tea & coffee, and even on the minimum capacity it needs about 3 or 4 cupfuls, which seems a waste
From another forum someone suggested that I get a one-cup boiler/dispenser. The Breville VKJ142 Hot Cup seems as good as any

Sometimes I boil a kettle full of water for washing up, as it takes a while for hot water to work it's way from the central heating boiler
So I'll probably get the Breville and just use the kettle for washing up, where an odd bit of plastic won't matter so much. When it does become too bad any replacement should last longer as I won't be using it for drinks
I had a coffee maker with a plastic lid which buckled after a while. I've now got a cheapo Tesco one, which is far better.

Be careful with the one-cup boiler/dispenser. Some of them don't actually boil the water. They are fine for coffee, but not for tea.

Thanks for your advice, I drink mostly coffee; I've had a percolator and some kind of machine but now I just drink good quality instant coffee, so a one cup dispenser would probably be OK
When I drink tea if I find the dispenser isn't hot enough I can use the kettle

Could anyone tell me, please, the volume or weight of water that it dispenses? Thanks

Last edited:
Thanks for your advice, I drink mostly coffee; I've had a percolator and some kind of machine but now I just drink good quality instant coffee, so a one cup dispenser would probably be OK
When I drink tea if I find the dispenser isn't hot enough I can use the kettle

Could anyone tell me, please, the volume or weight of water that it dispenses? Thanks
Think it depends on the make. Some only do one mugful at a time. My daughter has one plumbed in in her kitchen (the third tap) - instant hot water, as much as you want, but that's a bit expensive :laugh:

Right! I've had a change of plan

I've been to ASDA and found the Breville One Cup, plus a display of other kettles &coffee makers
I got chatting to a couple of customers, and one said that £44 was a lot to pay for just boiling one cupful of water, and that you could buy 2 kettles for that
Well, put like that it made me stop & think

She pointed out a Morphy Richards kettle that had a minimum volume of 2 cups,for nearly 5 years, still going well, no problems

So I think I'll just carry on with my current kettle till it fails or the plastic lid deteriorates too much, then look out for a kettle with a small minimum volume

My Tefal "Justine" is good for either 1.2 litres or 100 ml. There is no element protruding into the body - it's under a flat bottom.

justine inside.jpg

Hubby has a Tassimo for his coffee, but I have to have a kettle for my tea. Well I'd love a Qooker boiling water tap (my parents have one and its great) but I simply can't justify the price.

This is my kettle (I have the matching toaster too):
KBJ3001W-KBJ2001W-Left.jpg

Its the second DeLonghi I've had (I previously had the same design but in a silver metal body) and they seem to last forever - the old was was still in great condition but it just didn't match the new kitchen so I had to change it :oops: Its used many many times a day for tea (flat element and very quick to boil) and occasionally to fill a pan with boiling water for cooking. I've actually still got the old kettle packed away somewhere in the garage in case this one breaks (I don't know why I do this, I've never had a kettle break on me!)

In the motorhome I actually have two kettles + hubby's Tassimo. There's a small 1L metal kettle for the gas hob for the times we don't have electric hook up and when we have electric hook up I use a hot water disc in the Tassimo for hot water - its not quite boiling, but its only a couple of degrees off so its ok. I also have a tiny low wattage electric camping kettle which is just for emergencies in case the Tassimo breaks or in case the electric hook is less than 6 Amps.

As you can tell, I dread being without a kettle to make my tea! :hyper:

Unfortunately we only have one tap. Luke warm water. Cold water comes from the fridge.

Back
Top Bottom