Elizabeth David

Discussion in 'Kitchen Appliances, Cookware, Gadgets & Cookbooks' started by alexander, Oct 21, 2018.

Tags:
  1. alexander

alexander Well-Known Member

Anyone else here a fan of Elizabeth David? My Mum who is a great cook had several of her books and I've since bought copies for myself. I love French food and she wrote quite a lot about that. I saw this news item about her which reminded me because I was only a baby when Spices Salt and Aromatics was published. I think there was a film about her but I haven't seen it.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2018/aug/10/jeremy-lee-cooks-cook-elizabeth-david

Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
  2. morning glory

morning glory Obsessive cook Staff Member

I'm a big fan, @alexander and I have several of her books. She was a great writer - elegant, taut prose.

3. Wandering Bob

Wandering Bob Well-Known Member

Yes @alexander I am too. Any of her books are worth acquiring - full of sound advice and worthwhile suggestions. As @morning glory says above, they're well-written books - and they don't date either.

Her "English Bread And Yeast Cookery" book is my most-referred to cookery book - fascinating historical information along with a wealth of recipes across the bread-making spectrum.

alexander and morning glory like this.
  4. epicuric

epicuric Über Member Staff Member

Totally agree with the above comments. Her French Provincial Cooking is one of my favourite reads, probably more for the narrative than the recipes. Constance Spry is of a similar vein.

alexander and morning glory like this.
  5. morning glory

morning glory Obsessive cook Staff Member

Have any of you read 'An Omelette and a Glass of Wine'? A joy!

6. alexander

alexander Well-Known Member

I just ordered this book. I hadn't heard of it before.