Empanadas

CraigC

Guru
Local time
11:59 AM
Fried or baked, sweet or savory, with dipping sauce or without, I love these "turnovers". One of my favorite savory fillings is picadillo and for sweet, hands down guava and cheese. I also like dough that has been colored/flavored with achiote/annatto. Homemade are the best! How about you?

I like making breakfast empanadas with chorizo (and egg or egg white, if I want to be slightly healthier). The best way, as far as I'm concerned, is to press your own tortillas using fresh corn and masa harina. I just picked up a few ears of corn, in fact, so I think I'll get to work on these tonight!

Empanadas are similar to pasties in the UK (the Cornish Pasty has E.U. protected status). There are versions of pastry 'packages' all over the world - the Pirog in Eastern Europe, for example.

My favourite filling is Indian style potatoes and peas with curry spices (like a Samosa filling) - I call it an Indian pasty. But you can't beat a real Cornish Pasty!

My favourite filling is Indian style potatoes and peas with curry spices (like a Samosa filling) -
That's very similar to the aromatic vegetable pasties I make with a yoghurt pastry. They are potatoes, peas, onions, ground coriander, cumin and mint (I've probable forgotten something there it feels incomplete) in a lovely soft pastry made from melted marg in my case and yoghurt ( live coconut yoghurt). The recipe is on here somewhere under the vegetable section I think.

Here we go https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/aromatic-vegetable-pasties-with-yoghurt-pastry.1837/

Back
Top Bottom