Ethiopia and Bob Geldof

creative

Veteran
Local time
9:27 PM
Mod Edit: This discussion has been moved out of the General Chat thread because it is more than a general chat. I will monitor it and close it down if it gets out of hand. Please bear that in mind when discussing this.
(SNSSO)

I've just watched a video of Queen at Live Aid (again) - still brings tears to my eyes.
Yes - Freddie Mercury owned that stage - he was awesome wasn't he? He ! It was the performance which turned it around for them. Apparently they were on the wane before that.

However, I was more affected/overwhelmed with Geldof - that he was so profoundly moved by what he saw in Ethiopia and managed to initiate such a massive project as Live Aid. What a hero!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well that is highly unfortunate. Clearly Geldof was very politically niaive (he was a rock star after all!) His stubbornness in going ahead after having been warned was his downfall so, it's not surprise that he tried to cover his tracks and later lied. Sad. No one can deny he was well meaning though - his heart and intention could not be faulted. Alas he was just a casualty of a corrupt system that so ruthlessly took lives.

He is still worthy of the title of hero though, i.e. he champions the cause of Commission For Africa...do you know about this? This, amongst other campaigns too!

Scroll down
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Geldof

Last edited:
Well that is highly unfortunate. Clearly Geldof was very politically niaive (he was a rock star after all!) His stubbornness in going ahead after having been warned was his downfall so, it's not surprise that he tried to cover his tracks and later lied. Sad. No one can deny he was well meaning though - his heart and intention could not be faulted. Alas he was just a casualty of a corrupt system that so ruthlessly took lives.

He is still worthy of the title of hero though, i.e. he champions the cause of Commission For Africa...do you know about this? This, amongst other campaigns too!

Scroll down
This will always happen as long as cash/money is donated. As for Geldof well I'm sorry but I found his holier than thou attitude a little hard to take. It's easy to be compassionate when you are very very rich. I would be more interested in his charity efforts [and donations] before he had a seven figure bank balance [or whatever awe inspiring figure it had reached by then]. As for the pop stars etc who 'gave up their time freely' - to do what exactly ? Make a record - and get a load of free publicity. Those that visit the site of the disaster do what [other than get a free holiday]. They are surrounded by camera crews, guards if needed and reporters. Kiss a few babies - smile to the cameras and get a tan.

This will always happen as long as cash/money is donated. As for Geldof well I'm sorry but I found his holier than thou attitude a little hard to take. It's easy to be compassionate when you are very very rich. I would be more interested in his charity efforts [and donations] before he had a seven figure bank balance [or whatever awe inspiring figure it had reached by then]. As for the pop stars etc who 'gave up their time freely' - to do what exactly ? Make a record - and get a load of free publicity. Those that visit the site of the disaster do what [other than get a free holiday]. They are surrounded by camera crews, guards if needed and reporters. Kiss a few babies - smile to the cameras and get a tan.
I guess you didn't read the link I gave? Geldof is not a fly-by-night but committed and in it for the long haul. He is involved in many humanistic endeavours, i.e. not a fleeting thing.

I guess you didn't read the link I gave? Geldof is not a fly-by-night but committed and in it for the long haul. He is involved in many humanistic endeavours, i.e. not a fleeting thing.
Yes I did. I only asked what were his donations/charitable acts BEFORE he became rich not after - remaining committed when you are still wealthy is not quite the same thing.

Yes I did. I only asked what were his donations/charitable acts BEFORE he became rich not after - remaining committed when you are still wealthy is not quite the same thing.
You seem to have a low view of those who are wealthy, i.e. regardless of what they do. Whilst I am not impressed by the rich, how they choose to spend their time, i.e. in this case Geldof supporting humanitarian causes is commendable.

I think it was Bill Gates that said it best. He has donated millions. He heard about a woman that turned her entire life savings (less than $50,000) into a scholarship fund. (The woman had never made over $5 an hour.)
Anyway a reporter asked Mr Gates about donations. He said that woman was a hero to him because she gave everything she had and that he just gave a small portion of his earnings.

You seem to have a low view of those who are wealthy, i.e. regardless of what they do. Whilst I am not impressed by the rich, how they choose to spend their time, i.e. in this case Geldof supporting humanitarian causes is commendable.
I'm sorry but again no. I didn't say what he tried to do wasn't commendable just that
A - I watched his broadcasts during the 'concert' and being ordered to "GIVE US YOUR MONEY" by a very wealthy man I found a bit cynical. Especially one whose knowledge of the problem was at best doubtful. Money on it's own will never solve such a problem - as has now been proved.
B - The almost hero worship surrounding him is just ridiculous [although I do admit that is the fault of the media] - he is no saint, he developed a conscience only after becoming rich. If he had been a well known local [or even voluntary overseas] charity worker who formed a band that 'took off' then fine. Had the 'boomtown rats' failed would he have volunteered to go to Africa to help out with one of the aid agencies just as an ordinary worker ?
What he tried to do was admirable but he was a rich man trying to salve his conscience in any way he could. I do admit he did at least try but did not take advice and his efforts would have been better directed at changing the political mess those countries were in using his fame to give a voice to those trying to expose the corruption.
As it was he achieved very little in real lasting terms for those in need

I'm sorry but again no. I didn't say what he tried to do wasn't commendable just that
A - I watched his broadcasts during the 'concert' and being ordered to "GIVE US YOUR MONEY" by a very wealthy man I found a bit cynical. Especially one whose knowledge of the problem was at best doubtful. Money on it's own will never solve such a problem - as has now been proved.
B - The almost hero worship surrounding him is just ridiculous [although I do admit that is the fault of the media] - he is no saint, he developed a conscience only after becoming rich. If he had been a well known local [or even voluntary overseas] charity worker who formed a band that 'took off' then fine. Had the 'boomtown rats' failed would he have volunteered to go to Africa to help out with one of the aid agencies just as an ordinary worker ?
What he tried to do was admirable but he was a rich man trying to salve his conscience in any way he could. I do admit he did at least try but did not take advice and his efforts would have been better directed at changing the political mess those countries were in using his fame to give a voice to those trying to expose the corruption.
As it was he achieved very little in real lasting terms for those in need
Whilst you have a point about him having been disastrously ignorant of the political situation in Ethiopia at that time (he went there and was overwhelmed by what he saw - so many dying from starvation) and thus maybe not deserving of his hallowed status, nevertheless that was then and the situation now is VERY different! You make no acknowledgement of the many humanitarian causes he is currently involved in, not least of which he has championed the Commission For Africa (scroll down in the link to this section). Therefore he has MORE than made good his initial political ignorance and he deserves to be more fairly appraised in the light of this.

You make no acknowledgement of the many humanitarian causes he is currently involved in,
My whole point against the adulation he seems to be given is that it is not what he is doing NOW but what he did do before he became rich [and would have done if he had not become rich]. The hypocrisy lies in suddenly developing a conscience only when you yourself can afford it. Finally he took a LOT of good money from well meaning people and allowed huge amounts of to be basically thrown away and I find that unforgivable. People give to charity out of kindness and don't need an idiot pop star demanding money and then wasting it. I just feel that there are many more people out there [both rich and poor] more deserving of admiration. But I feel we simply have to agree to differ

My whole point against the adulation he seems to be given is that it is not what he is doing NOW but what he did do before he became rich [and would have done if he had not become rich]. The hypocrisy lies in suddenly developing a conscience only when you yourself can afford it. Finally he took a LOT of good money from well meaning people and allowed huge amounts of to be basically thrown away and I find that unforgivable. People give to charity out of kindness and don't need an idiot pop star demanding money and then wasting it. I just feel that there are many more people out there [both rich and poor] more deserving of admiration. But I feel we simply have to agree to differ
Geldof may have been many things, i.e. niaive but hypocrisy is SO not him! He is outstandingly authentic, can you not see that? It's one of the qualities I most like about him - he cuts through pretensions and I love him for that. Geldof didn't suddenly develop a conscience on the Ethiopian famine....do you not know that he was concerned enough to go out there and see for himself the vast scale of suffering and dying!? That's a bit more than just having a conscience. Who can doubt the depth of his commitment? It was astounding and totally inspiring.

Clearly you hold a deep grudge against his past mistake (admittedly a huge one). EVERYONE can have a conscience! Since when does it depend on wealth??? It's somewhat uncharitable of yourself that you cannot take on board all that he has done for humanitarian causes since that bygone era. Oh well, your choice.

Last edited:
Geldof may have been many things, i.e. niaive but hypocrisy is SO not him! He is outstandingly authentic, can you not see that? It's one of the qualities I most like about him - he cuts through pretensions and I love him for that. Geldof didn't suddenly develop a conscience on the Ethiopian famine....do you not know that he was concerned enough to go out there and see for himself the vast scale of suffering and dying!? That's a bit more than just having a conscience. Who can doubt the depth of his commitment? It was astounding and totally inspiring.

Clearly you hold a deep grudge against his past mistake (admittedly a huge one). EVERYONE can have a conscience! Since when does it depend on wealth??? It's somewhat uncharitable of yourself that you cannot take on board all that he has done for humanitarian causes since that bygone era. Oh well, your choice.
I still find it ironic that he became a 'caring sharing committed to the greater good person' only after he himself became very wealthy. If he had remained a struggling singer in a band no-one had heard off would he have given a weeks beer money to charity ? As I said it's easy to be generous after you acquire a big fat bank balance. As for me having a grudge against his mistake - well yes I admit it, I do. A lot of charities [both at home and overseas] suffered as a result of his misguided ranting - people only have so much money they will give. Had his attempts been a great success then ok but as it happened his actions took a lot of money from some very needy people and did very little good.
But as you say fair enough - you like him I don't - each to his/her own.

I still find it ironic that he became a 'caring sharing committed to the greater good person' only after he himself became very wealthy. If he had remained a struggling singer in a band no-one had heard off would he have given a weeks beer money to charity ? As I said it's easy to be generous after you acquire a big fat bank balance. As for me having a grudge against his mistake - well yes I admit it, I do. A lot of charities [both at home and overseas] suffered as a result of his misguided ranting - people only have so much money they will give. Had his attempts been a great success then ok but as it happened his actions took a lot of money from some very needy people and did very little good.
But as you say fair enough - you like him I don't - each to his/her own.
You are missing the point in why he got involved with Ethiopia. It has NOTHING at all to do with wealth! The epic Ethiopian famine was shown on the news in stark reality. It got to him. I am sure he donated but that wasn't enough for him ....he WENT there to see for himself.... What he witnessed had a profound effect on him and, of course, THAT'S what started the Live Aid project. You keep going on about his error, yes it was a big one and he was politically niave but it was a MISTAKE, i.e. not deliberate. The fact that he has more than made up for this in the humanitarian causes that he is currently involved in you fail to take on board and that is most ungracious and myopic.

I have a comments to make here too; sorry if they are a bit dis-jointed. Firstly, it wasn't just Ethiopia that was/is affected by famine/drought. The economies of most of mid-Africa from Nigeria right across to Ethiopia and Kenya is based on agriculture, and they were/are still all affected by this. Countries around the world were helping out, sending millions of pounds worth of aid - and still do - it was not just Bob Geldof who did this, although because of his status he received a lot more publicity. The UK contributes a vast amount of money annually but alas people here want them to stop and keep in the money in the UK. One member of my [extended] family who is Ethiopian told me that some areas of Ethiopia are much more affected by drought than others (mainly in the north east of the country) and these regions are very poor and very rural. It is difficult to get any sort of aid to them by road, but in other years the droughts can also affect the main towns and cities including Addis Ababa, and like many others countries they are affected badly by climate change. This particular cousin moved to Saudi Arabia and lived there for many years before moving to Spain. She has recently however had a house built in Ethiopia and goes back there regularly.

As far as the money going to buy arms etc, would so many countries give direct aid to Ethiopia if this were the case? You may find these links interesting:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/complaints/comp-reports/ecu/ecu_bandaidmoneydonatedethiopia
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-11688535

It is also interesting to note that after the devastating floods in the UK in 1947, Haile Selassie sent aid to us, although I believe a lot of it was in the form of coffee rather than money!

Back
Top Bottom