Exotic Mushrooms

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
6:33 PM
DSCF2741.jpg

Photographed today in natural light.

Well, look what I managed to buy today! Exotic as they are - I bought them in Waitrose (UK supermarket) and they were grown not to far away from here in Lewes, Sussex, UK. I'm planning to try a few things with them, amongst them a posh version of the recipe by @valedevento for Vol au vent, entered for the cookingbites recipe challenge. But what else? I was thinking perhaps pickled as they would look beautiful in a jar.

Last edited:
Wow these are interesting. I have to admit that I never seen these types of mushrooms before. I am going to head up to the local market on my lunch break and see if they have them there. I am not sure what I will do with them but I am going to be watching this thread to see what suggestions that others might have. :)

Wow. Trust you to find them @morning glory. I am still empty handed but only yesterday I asked a young lady who works in one of our Italian restaurants and she told me where I might be able to find some locally. I an sure they won't be the exotic ones. I can't wait to see what you make as the competition is winding down.

Wow these are interesting. I have to admit that I never seen these types of mushrooms before. I am going to head up to the local market on my lunch break and see if they have them there. I am not sure what I will do with them but I am going to be watching this thread to see what suggestions that others might have. :)
Well, to be honest, you cook them the same way as any other mushrooms. They just look different - so you can exploit their shapes to make dishes look pretty. They also all taste a subtly different. But not to the extent that you wouldn't recognise them as mushrooms.

I often see these mushrooms on Japanese cooking shows. They add flavor to soups and rice. I remember using them while learning how to prepare stocks when I attended a crash course about basic cooking

Back
Top Bottom