Recipe Fairy cakes

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
7:07 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
For years, we always had fairy cakes at birthday parties, Christmas and other family get togethers. But then they died a death and I don't know why.

images5.jpg

So here is a recipe for them and some simple decorations.

www.goodtoknow.co.uk/recipes/450609/Rachel-Allen-s-fairy-cakes

Ingredients

• 125g (4.5oz) butter, softened
  • 125g (4.5oz) caster sugar
  • 1tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 eggs
  • 150g (5oz) plain flour
  • ¼tsp baking powder
For the filling:
  • 100ml (3.5fl oz) raspberry or strawberry jam
  • 200ml (7fl oz) crème Chantilly or vanilla buttercream icing
  • Icing sugar, for dusting
  • Dragèes (metallic sugar balls), to decorate (optional)
When you cream your butter and sugar, make sure you do this really thoroughly until the mixture is pale. Do the same when you beat your eggs. This means you've beaten in lots of air and that's a great start for well-risen fairy cakes.

Method
  1. Preheat the oven to 190ºC, 375ºF, gas 5. Line a 12-hole fairy cake tin, or a 24-hole tin for mini cakes, with 12 (or 24) paper cases.
  2. Cream the butter in a large bowl or in an electric food mixer until soft.
  3. Add the sugar and vanilla extract and beat until the mixture is light and fluffy.
  4. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating continuously, then sift in the flour and baking powder. (If you are pushed for time, and the butter is sufficiently soft, put the butter, sugar, eggs, vanilla, flour and baking powder into an electric food mixer and briefly whiz just until the mixture comes together.)
  5. Divide the mixture evenly between the paper cases using two teaspoons for mini cakes or two dessertspoons for larger ones.
  6. Cook in the oven for 8-12 mins, or until golden and springy to the touch. (The mini cakes may take just 5 mins.)
  7. Transfer the cakes to a wire rack to cool.
  8. When cooled, cut the top off each cake, then cut the tops in half to make the butterfly wings. Set aside.
  9. Spread half a teaspoon or so of jam on the top of the cut cake, then spoon or pipe the crème Chantilly or buttercream on top of the jam.
  10. Arrange two butterfly wings at an angle on top of each cake. Dust generously with icing sugar and decorate with dragèes, if using.

Over here we call those cupcakes. They are still fairly popular. Some shops here specialize in gourmet cupcakes and they are extremely delicious. Of course you pay for the privlige. A gourmet cupcake can cost about 4 dollars. Is it worth it?? Maybe,..since they are large, and you can share them.

Yes, we do have cupcakes, but these are above and beyond cupcakes. I've never seen these before, so perhaps they were a UK/European trend? I love the look of the butterfly or fairy wings on top. I'm sure many little girls here in the U.S. would love to have these at their birthday and tea parties.

Back
Top Bottom