Fake saffron

Herbie

Veteran
Local time
8:03 AM
Hello

I know someone mentioned fake saffron when we did the spice challenge last month. Well, Mother kindly brought back two large bags of 'saffron' from Israel. What is this likely to be? She bought it especially as I told her about the challenge before they left.

They also bought me a lovely bowl that will be perfect for olives. Also the most amazing dates I have ever tasted.

Xxxx

My parents are amazing.

Hello

I know someone mentioned fake saffron when we did the spice challenge last month. Well, Mother kindly brought back two large bags of 'saffron' from Israel. What is this likely to be? She bought it especially as I told her about the challenge before they left.

They also bought me a lovely bowl that will be perfect for olives. Also the most amazing dates I have ever tasted.

Xxxx

My parents are amazing.

If the 'saffron' was cheap which I suspect it was if they bought 2 large bags then it is probably safflower - but there are other fake saffrons. If you know how saffron tastes then you will know immediately if its real or not.

@Francesca Yes, I was surprised, especially as my mum bought it from a cooperative store that is supposed to be ethical.

@ElizabethB Yes, it was a lovely, thoughtful gift. She usually gets me something edible to experiment with - I've had thyme salt and dried fish from Iceland, heather salt from Scotland, paprika from Hungry, to name a few. They used to go to France regularly (when they lived in Kent) so I got a lot of things from there.

Back
Top Bottom