The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
12:53 PM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
gd5BGrGSzqTyq0P3z4M1_IMG_0693.jpg

I'm surprised I didn't post this one already, but here it is now. My recipe for falafel patties is similar to yours, but (of course) there are more ingredients (notably mint, Brussels sprouts, lemon juice, and baking powder):

1/2 lb chickpeas, soaked overnight in water
3 garlic cloves, grated
1 cup parsley, freshly chopped
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons ground coriander
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 green onions, finely chopped
3 tablespoons mint leaves, freshly chopped
4 large Brussels sprouts, shredded
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1⁄2 teaspoon pepper, freshly ground
4 tablespoons canola oil
1⁄4 cup flour, for coating the falafel patties

To be honest, I don't know how much the baking powder does. It's not like cupcakes, where it doubles in size. But, I'd like to think the result is a puffier patty. The directions are basically the same, except that I flatten mine. And, I'm serving it with tzatziki sauce (since everything is better with tzatziki sauce).

As for tips, here's the best one: DON'T USE CANNED CHICKPEAS! You'll make falafel with them and tell yourself they're good, but you really don't know how good falafel can be until you use uncooked chickpeas. Then, it'll dawn on you that your canned chickpea falafels taste gummy.

What you get in the can has been cooked already. This is good for salads or hummus (which you don't subsequently cook), but not good for falafel (which you put on heat to form).

@The Late Night Gourmet

Mine is more traditional .. However, sounds great .. I am a big fan of Falafel ..

The main differences in mine are the type of Oil that I use is Greek Eco Bio Evoo from Peloponnese and I do not use Brussel Sprouts in mine, mine are round and off top of head, I use bio chick pea flour as it is very porous and does not permit the seapage of the Oil into the falafel balls ..

I posted mine too ..

Back
Top Bottom