Fall foods

cupcakechef

Veteran
Local time
8:29 PM
Japan (expat by way of Australia and USA)
Now that autumn/fall is approaching for those of us in the Northern Hemisphere, I was wondering what your favorite fall foods are. I know that fall isn't specifically a "celebration" but I do find that there's a lot of delicious foods I associate with fall. Particularly anything with pumpkin as an ingredient.

Pumpkin pie, pumpkin soup, pumpkin spice cookies, pumpkin bread - it all reminds me of this beautiful time of year.

Do you have anything that reminds you of fall? Any great recipes you'd love to share?

Then you should try to visit this place one year, a shortish ride from here:

upload_2015-9-3_10-47-47.jpeg

http://slindonpumpkins.co.uk/

Their annual displays are now well-known beyond our locality.

Now that autumn/fall is approaching for those of us in the Northern Hemisphere, I was wondering what your favorite fall foods are. I know that fall isn't specifically a "celebration" but I do find that there's a lot of delicious foods I associate with fall. Particularly anything with pumpkin as an ingredient.

Pumpkin pie, pumpkin soup, pumpkin spice cookies, pumpkin bread - it all reminds me of this beautiful time of year.

Do you have anything that reminds you of fall? Any great recipes you'd love to share?
Oh yes, anything with pumpkin is it is my favorite. I love it all!! Also of course Chocolate and Candy for Halloween..Apple cider, another fine and festive Fall favorite. Candy corn is another one that defines the fall, not that I always eat it...oh and it should finally be cool enough for casseroles!

Yep - anything with squashes in them. Also sweet chestnuts and cobnuts - they both have very short seasons. Proper cooking apples fresh off the tree are another, but it seems my OH's tooth problem will put pay to any apple crumbles or apple pies this year. Perhaps I will have to look at pumpkin pie instead?
Autumn stews and casseroles are another, so potatoes, leeks, parsnips, carrots etc with dumplings.
Can't really think of anything else at the moment.

School, "Harvest Festival", often before the harvests themselves.

Iced Pumpkin Cookies

"Wonderful spicy iced pumpkin cookies that both kids and adults love!"
Ingredients
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1 cup canned pumpkin puree
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups confectioners' sugar
3 tablespoons milk
1 tablespoon melted butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  2. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, ground cloves, and salt; set aside.
  3. In a medium bowl, cream together the 1/2 cup of butter and white sugar. Add pumpkin, egg, and 1 teaspoon vanilla to butter mixture, and beat until creamy. Mix in dry ingredients. Drop on cookie sheet by tablespoonfuls; flatten slightly.
  4. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes in the preheated oven. Cool cookies, then drizzle glaze with fork.
  5. To Make Glaze: Combine confectioners' sugar, milk, 1 tablespoon melted butter, and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Add milk as needed, to achieve drizzling consistency.

Preperation Time: 20 m,
Cooking Time: 20 m
Ready In 1 h 20 m

Then you should try to visit this place one year, a shortish ride from here:

View attachment 1406

http://slindonpumpkins.co.uk/

Their annual displays are now well-known beyond our locality.

That's awesome - amazing to me just how creative people can be! I can see why they would be well known, I think I'd absolutely travel to see it if I was nearby to the area.

It looks like autumn is the occasion for pumpkins. Until now I still have to taste pumpkin soup. I guess Halloween is a big occasion there since it is harvest time of pumpkins. During fall there, it is rainy season here and our favorite food for the wet season is the porridge. We have a variety of porridge here but the most popular are the chicken porridge and the beef innard porridge. It is normally prepared by the poor people since porridge is one of the cheapest food. And when it rains, rural folks cannot work so they have no income. That's why they resort to porridge.

Back
Top Bottom