Family history

I find genealogy fascinating. My aunt (Dad's eldest sibling) did a comprehensive genealogy study of my paternal family long before computers and DNA tests. She traveled all over the southern U.S., France, Belgium and Nova Scotia tracing our ancestors.
I remember accompanying my Aunt to rural court houses and churches. She would pour over huge ledges. Hand written entries, most in French. She traced my father's family to the 1500's then hit a brick wall. Even with the advantages of computers and DNA we have not been able to trace our family further back.
My Aunt published 4 volumes of the Begnaud family history in the Louisiana Gazette (an LSU publication)
More later. I have short ribs cooking

I did quite a lot of research on my family via Ancestry.co,uk. I sent off for birth certificates etc. and managed to trace back on both sides of the family to around 1860. Beyond that its difficult as many records are still in Parish churches and haven't been transcribed. The difficult and mind boggling thing is that every time you do a step back there are two paths to follow (female and male lines) and this gets more and more complicated!

My lot are mainly country folk (farm workers) with a bit of London in the mix. But there is my great great Grandad who was an early photographer back in Victorian times. Some of his photos can be found archived on line. Its coincidental perhaps but my eldest son went on to be a successful photographer. And I am quite a keen photographer too!

One of my relatives was described as an imbecile. With my name it's unsurprising that there are links to Sark, Normandy and Brittany.

My maternal uncle and my middle sister have done extensive research on Mother's family - Burleigh. What a surprise! Dependents of Lord Cecil Burghley. Unfortunately from the wrong side of the sheets.

I haven't done any. I'm more interested in the now, with the family I'm helping raise.

I'll have to look for it. I do have a really cool picture of My son, me, Dad, and my grandfather!. Not often you get four generations in one picture.

I have often wondered, and tried to search online. Unfortunately, I don't have birth dates and certificates. My grandmother was from Hungary. She told me she dressed like a man, changed her name, & travelled underground (?) to escape the Nazis. Guessing she may have come through Ellis Island, and settled in New York City, where I was born. Guess I will never know.

She told me she dressed like a man, changed her name, & travelled underground (?) to escape the Nazis.

That's a fascinating story. She must have been very brave. It must be frustrating not to be able to trace things further. There are lots of on-line resources these days but I guess you do need some basic info - original name and a birth date and place of birth is a good start.

Did she never reveal her former name?

Yes. Dates would be more helpful and accurate, especially when you go back in time (before Facebook and home computers).

Have you Googled yourself? I couldn't believe all the personal information I found on the web. :eek:

I have often wondered, and tried to search online. Unfortunately, I don't have birth dates and certificates. My grandmother was from Hungary. She told me she dressed like a man, changed her name, & travelled underground (?) to escape the Nazis. Guessing she may have come through Ellis Island, and settled in New York City, where I was born. Guess I will never know.

Maybe pay someone to do research for you. My wife recently did to get background for her family. Her roots go back to Hollywood and a famous name. I think she only paid about a hundy for the info.

Russ

If you have the time and patience it is amazing what you can find out about your heritage. After tracing Mother's family to Lord Burghley my sister continued researching. She found many name changes. Her research went back to biblical times. The names she found were referenced in the bible. She searched further and further . Her research eventually brought the family back to Adam and Eve. How crazy is that? I have sat around the table with my two sisters and Mother with a glass of wine (or 2 or 3) and read the history of Mother's family with lots of laughter and tears.
I often think of my Aunt who spent so many years researching my Father's family history long before computers were available.
I am so blessed with the most wonderful family. I could not survive without my family. I know so many people who have no family connections. They do not visit their parents. They do not speak to their siblings. In my mind that is so sad, so abnormal. I can not imagine my life without my family.
Love your family like you love your life.
OK two glasses of wine and I get sappy. Really and truly, with all of my heart and soul, I tell you to love and treasure your family. Do not forget your friends. They are your other family.

Back
Top Bottom