Farmer's Markets - is the food any better than in supermarkets?

I do love a wander around a farmers market though; and a food festival. I don't have time to shop the way I'd like so do rely on supermarkets for most things apart from meat (my friend is a butcher so support his business). I like the variety of things you can get from a good farmers market - the handmade pies, chutneys and jams - I guess things that are a little bit different from the mass produced stuff on the shelf.

We don't have any close by, so its normally something I make the effort to travel too and with that I don't mind paying a bit more than in a supermarket, as it is a bit of a treat.

So you are generalising from just one venue then? Hmmm.

We have had this conversation before. I have spoken to many of the stall holders and they are not from abroad (not that this should matter if they are based here in UK and selling home grown produce).

http://www.lfm.org.uk/about-us/
You seem to be base your "generalisations" on the one source/venue. I was avoiding them long before this one appeared. I'd go to the farm shops first.

That way whatever nationality the person serving, at least I know the money spent in one will be spent locally. We've two chinese working in/on one farm shop, but selling local produce. Not something that's travelled a few thousand miles.

That was the idea behind the farmers markets in the first place.

souce corrected to source in edit.

Last edited:
A question for those who do go to farmers markets.

Should they be allowed to sell or use untreated produce, this at a time when if a farmer was found to be giving it away or using it themselves could see them in court?

And to make it clear, I've used the same produce in the past. Only the law prevents me from doing so now.

One thing to consider for true farmer's markets (where the folks that grew it are the ones selling it) is that things are harvested at the proper time. Produce sold in the supermarket is often picked before it is ripe so as to prevent damage in shipping.

A question for those who do go to farmers markets.

Should they be allowed to sell or use untreated produce, this at a time when if a farmer was found to be giving it away or using it themselves could see them in court?

And to make it clear, I've used the same produce in the past. Only the law prevents me from doing so now.

What do you mean by untreated?

One thing to consider for true farmer's markets (where the folks that grew it are the ones selling it) is that things are harvested at the proper time. Produce sold in the supermarket is often picked before it is ripe so as to prevent damage in shipping.
Or so it isn't overripe when it finally reaches the outlying stores.
Avocados are really picked green.

You seem to be base your "generalisations" on the one source/venue. I was avoiding them long before this one appeared. I'd go to the farm shops first.

That way whatever nationality the person serving, at least I know the money spent in one will be spent locally. We've two chinese working in/on one farm shop, but selling local produce. Not something that's travelled a few thousand miles.

That was the idea behind the farmers markets in the first place.

souce corrected to source in edit.
Clearly you didn't read that link I posted else you would know that the 'one source/venue' comprises of many farmer market outlets over London, of which I have visited a few.

You don't say where you live. Evidently we have different experiences - your's being from just the one venue...one time, I presume?

I am bored with this cul-de-sac misunderstanding. Let's drop it shall we?

Clearly you didn't read that link I posted else you would know that the 'one source/venue' comprises of many farmer market outlets over London, of which I have visited a few.

You don't say where you live. Evidently we have different experiences - your's being from just the one venue...one time, I presume?

I am bored with this cul-de-sac misunderstanding. Let's drop it shall we?
Mine isn't from either just the one venue or just the once. Your presumption is wrong.

I've been to Farmers Markets and farmers markets. The first I'd go back to any time. And if the posts have been read, you'll see that location has been given.

I've a supply, to hand. Bought in the UK.
Did you buy it after it was banned for EU use i.e. in 2007? Why (given what you presumably know about the paraquat pesticide)? This all sounds very odd....

Mine isn't from either just the one venue or just the once. Your presumption is wrong.

I've been to Farmers Markets and farmers markets. The first I'd go back to any time. And if the posts have been read, you'll see that location has been given.
Let's just agree to disagree...no one else here confirms your findings.

Did you buy it after it was banned for EU use i.e. in 2007? Why (given what you presumably know about the paraquat pesticide)? This all sounds very odd....
Pesticide?

And depends on what you ask for, when buying it.

On the second, you're on your own on that one.

Pesticide?

And depends on what you ask for, when buying it.

On the second, you're on your own on that one.
Sorry I meant herbicide; so I see that you haven't answered the questions I asked (hopefully not deliberately avoided them)....it seems most peculiar that you could obtain this if it was after the 2007 ban...very odd!

Back
Top Bottom