Farmer's Markets - is the food any better than in supermarkets?

Sorry I meant herbicide; so I see that you haven't answered the questions I asked (hopefully not deliberately avoided them)....it seems most peculiar that you could obtain this if it was after the 2007 ban...very odd!
Nothing to stop me buying it, as I said it depends on what you ask for.

Is one of these 'best farmers markets' near anyone here? It would be nice to get an update (this was the best 10 in 2013)
color.gif

http://www.independent.co.uk/extras/indybest/food-drink/the-10-best-farmers-markets-8521126.html

Is one of these 'best farmers markets' near anyone here? It would be nice to get an update (this was the best 10 in 2013)
color.gif

http://www.independent.co.uk/extras/indybest/food-drink/the-10-best-farmers-markets-8521126.html

This one I have visited several times:

{4} The Goods Shed, Canterbury

Hosted in an old Victorian railway building, this market was set up in 2002 to help support local cottage industries. The stall selection includes Cheese Makers of Canterbury, Enzo's Bakery and The Bottle Shop. There is also a market-produce restaurant.

Its OK - the veg aren't to good though.

color.gif

I haven't been to Brixton market for years (I lived there in the 1970s). It was a normal street market in those days though where you could buy practically anything :wink: - their fruit and veg stalls were very good with an excellent selection of UK and foreign foods.

I haven't been to Brixton market for years (I lived there in the 1970s). It was a normal street market in those days though where you could buy practically anything :wink: - their fruit and veg stalls were very good with an excellent selection of UK and foreign foods.
Ah yes....much has changed now in Brixton since that decade! You may know that it has undergone quite a trendy change, e.g. upmarket restaurants with the ethnic diversity somewhat fading as its identity.

As to the farmers market .....

https://brixtonmarket.net/farmers-market/

Ah yes....much has changed now in Brixton since that decade! You may know that it has undergone quite a trendy change, e.g. upmarket restaurants with the ethnic diversity somewhat fading as its identity.

Yes, I know it's changed - it was rather rough and ready when I lived there. The house where I lived was demolished long ago, and the flats where my friends (my daughter's babysitters) lived and my friends' shops were some of the first places to be burnt to the ground during the riots a few years later. Since then I have only been back to visit friends nearby or to drive through on my way to work. Maybe I should go back there :D

Where the Lunartics are allowed to sell, without proof
Lunartics.jpg

"Biodynamic agriculture is a form of alternative agriculture very similar to organic farming, but it includes various esotericconcepts drawn from the ideas of Rudolf Steiner (1861–1925). Initially developed since 1924, it was the first of the organic agriculture movements. It treats soil fertility, plant growth, and livestock care as ecologically interrelated tasks, emphasizing spiritual and mystical perspectives.

Biodynamics has much in common with other organic approaches – it emphasizes the use of manures and composts and excludes the use of artificial chemicals on soil and plants. Methods unique to the biodynamic approach include its treatment of animals, crops, and soil as a single system, an emphasis from its beginnings on local production and distribution systems, its use of traditional and development of new local breeds and varieties. Some methods use anastrological sowing and planting calendar. Biodynamic agriculture uses various herbal and mineral additives for compost additives and field sprays; these are sometimes prepared by controversial methods, such as burying ground quartz stuffed into the horn of a cow, which are said to harvest "cosmic forces in the soil", that are more akin to sympathetic magic thanagronomy.

As of 2016 biodynamic techniques were used on 161,074 hectares in 60 countries. Germany accounts for 45% of the global total; the remainder average 1750 ha per country. Biodynamic methods of cultivating grapevines have been taken up by several notable vineyards. There are certification agencies for biodynamic products, most of which are members of the international biodynamics standards group Demeter International.

No difference in beneficial outcomes has been scientifically established between certified biodynamic agricultural techniques and similar organic and integrated farmingpractices. Biodynamic agriculture lacks strong scientific evidence for its efficacy and has been labeled a is a pseudoscience because of its overreliance upon esoteric knowledge and mystical beliefs."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biodynamic_agriculture

Notice the last one is very local.

@classic33 - I don't know what you are trying to prove but you have failed. You have something against biodynamic agriculture?
dontknow.gif

Learn a bit about the man behind it first. I've seen both, first hand, can you say the same?
You make an inaccurate assumption since I am familiar with Rudolf Steiner. He was a talented man i.e. with diverse talents in many fields, which is not to say I support biodynamic agriculture.

How does this relate to your derogatory dissing of the farmers as 'lunartics' (misspelt by the way!) i.e. they are not all selling biodynamic eggs. You pick one detail and tar the whole market because of it! Very revealing about your mindset.

Last edited:
You make an inaccurate assumption since I am familiar with Rudolf Steiner. He was a talented man i.e. with diverse talents in many fields, which is not to say I support biodynamic agriculture.

How does this relate to your derogatory dissing of the farmers as 'lunartics' (misspelt by the way!) i.e. they are not all selling biodynamic eggs. You pick one detail and tar the whole market because of it! Very revealing about your mindset.
Check the methods behind the farming system he came up with and you'll see there's no mis-spelling. Missed an -, but that's all.

I've seen first hand some of the methods. They make battery farming look quite pleasant.

I'm against false advertising, along with mis-leading adverts, if that's a crime.

Check the methods behind the farming system he came up with and you'll see there's no mis-spelling. Missed an -, but that's all.

I've seen first hand some of the methods. They make battery farming look quite pleasant.

I'm against false advertising, along with mis-leading adverts, if that's a crime.
I am wondering what you know about biodynamic eggs since this practise favours natural conditions.

http://myorchardeggs.co.uk/biodynamic-agriculture/

In what way is battery farming better?

Last edited:

In what sense is this false advertising? Brambletye Orchard is certified by the Biodynamic Association Certification Scheme, following Demeter International Standards. They are fully approved by Defra with the certification coding BG-ORG-06.

I can see that you disagree with the methods from your own experience - but looking at the website for Brambletye Orchard I can't see anything 'bad' about what they are doing, even though I might personally think that its doubtful whether their methods are likely to mean better tasting food! The chickens roam free 24/7 in their 'biodynamic' orchard.

Last edited:
Not encountered biodynamics before. More research need I think before entering the fray.
Link provided on previous page.
In what sense is this false advertising? Brambletye Orchard is certified by the Biodynamic Association Certification Scheme, following Demeter International Standards. They are fully approved by Defra with the certification coding BG-ORG-06.

I can see that you disagree with the methods from your own experience - but looking at the website for Brambletye Orchard I can't see anything 'bad' about what they are doing, even though I might personally think that its doubtful whether their methods are likely to mean better tasting food! The chickens roam free 24/7 in their 'biodynamic' orchard.
The false advertising was for farmers markets. The restrictions in place on farmers mean that most cannot legally sell at one. Small holders, yes. The regulations are different for them.

Small Holders Markets doesn't quite sound the same, but it's what most sellers are.

Note the date on that piece of legislation you quote, 06(2006). Then check who drew the regulations up. The same body that approves the methods used. And also sets the prices.

Just a few things to ponder over your next salad.

Back
Top Bottom