Farmer's Markets - is the food any better than in supermarkets?

Link provided on previous page.

The false advertising was for farmers markets. The restrictions in place on farmers mean that most cannot legally sell at one. Small holders, yes. The regulations are different for them.

Small Holders Markets doesn't quite sound the same, but it's what most sellers are.

Note the date on that piece of legislation you quote, 06(2006). Then check who drew the regulations up. The same body that approves the methods used. And also sets the prices.

Just a few things to ponder over your next salad.
I do feel you are being somewhat pedantic to say small holders do not qualify as being farmers. Definition of a farm being an area of land and its buildings, used for growing crops and rearing animals.....so I think they qualify! (Perhaps you are thinking of intensive farming?)

I do feel you are being somewhat pedantic to say small holders do not qualify as being farmers. Definition of a farm being an area of land and its buildings, used for growing crops and rearing animals.....so I think they qualify! (Perhaps you are thinking of intensive farming?)
Not in any way. To your first and last points, moreso.

By your definition the local school is a farm.

Not in any way. To your first and last points, moreso.

By your definition the local school is a farm.
It is not my definition....but one supplied with a google search!

farm
fɑːm/
noun
noun: farm; plural noun: farms
an area of land and its buildings, used for growing crops and rearing animals.

So you disagree with them then. Oh well!

farm
fɑːm/
noun

Your definition is correct across the pond too. Though larger spreads are typically called ranches and usually have cattle.

farm
fɑːm/
noun

Trying to work out where the markets have disappeared.

I've become involved with our local farmers market, working as a rep for a local cheese maker.

I've also become involved with my local organic co-op. Not that organic particularly interests me but local does.

The co-op co-ordinate a mini farmers market once a month.

I bought a huge bunch of kaffir lime leaves, at least 50 leaves or more, at the mini market for $2.00.
The supermarkets want $4 for about 8 leaves in a plastic tray.

I also bought beautiful freshly made big fat bagels for $1.50 a piece. The supermarkets have them cheaper but the quality is worlds apart.

Back
Top Bottom