Favorite Pickled Products?

In the middle east. Having googled kisla repa it looks quite different. The middle eastern version is sliced and dyed pink with beetroot.

Thanks. Yes - the Middle Eastern version does sound completely different (and quite attractive too)

No pictures?

I'll try and make up for it..........

Lime pickle.

jarred s.jpg

Pickled red onions.

bite back pickled onions s.jpg

Pickled chillis.

pickled jalapeno p s.jpg

Pickled dill.

pickled dill mont s.jpg

Pickled gherkins.

pickledgherkin s.jpg

Last edited:
I'll put a pic up but I can't post a recipe as my son is working on my recipe going into retail. But lots of curry powder turmeric other spices, usual suspects, all spice, cloves etc. it's taken me 10 years to perfect my nanas recipe. Only my daughter has the recipe as she's a good cook and will continue when I go,lol.

Russ

As far as I know of when you say pickle to an American the first thing they think of is a pickled cucumber. They're the most famous in the U.S. and my most favorite I also like pickled onions and bell peppers. When it comes to pickling in the U.S. veggies are the main and most commonly found. From where I came from most stores were limited in pickling it was mostly cucumbers, peppers,onions,olives and that's most of what I can remember.

Egypt is a bit different though it's like the U.S. in mainly veggies only. I have yet to see any fruit besides lemons. I have seen fish in a jar but I never looked to see if it was pickled. Here In Egypt almost every vegetable is made into a pickle. What you don't see everyday though at least not in the U.S. is pickled grape leaves. I have not tried them yet. They also have pickled lemons which are very salty and spicy. I remember when I tried a pickled cucumber here in

Egypt for the first time. My reaction was a sour lemon face :roflmao:my husband got a real kick out of that lol. In Egypt pickled products aren't seasoned a lot most of them just use vinegar and salt. So instead of tasting my favorite well seasoned dill cucumber pickle I got a mouth full of salt flavored cucumber pickle lol. I ended up making my own cucumber dill pickles cause you just can't beat a well seasoned dill cucumber pickle.

There are many varieties of pickled cucumbers available, which most people refer to as pickles here. I'm partial to the ones called half sours that delis make, but I prefer pickled jalapenos to any cucumber pickles.

Interestingly, I think the US definition of pickle is probably tighter than the UK definition. In the UK all kinds of things which could be called chutney are called pickle. In other words its not a term that only means vegetables or fish etc in a brine or vinegar but concoctions in a thick sauce.

Famously, there is Branston Pickle as an example but there are numerous Indian pickles which look more like chutney.

American friends - please correct me if the US definition also includes these types of products.

View attachment 17414

The only pickle :happy:

My fav is bread and butter pickled pickles tho i like gerkins and midgets too...in the u.s. midgets are very tiny sweet cucumbers, smaller than gerkins which are small sweet cucumbers smaller than regular pickles and pickles refer to cucumbers. I like pickle relish too both dill and sweet. My sister likes a pickled pickle called wickles which are pickled cucumbers with hot peppers but if she eats too many she find they give her digestive issues. My mother used to make pickled eggs with beets and onion...while very pretty pink they were not something i found tasty but she would make them every thanksgiving and christmas...weirdly not easter where i would think eggs would go.

I don't know how I managed to forget my favourite - piccalilli. Probably because I've never been successful at making it.

View attachment 17515

I happened to tune in to a British baking show. That pie was one of the required dishes. The contestants had to use a "dolly" to form the main pie dough. Everyone failed miserably, but they had to pick a winner.:headshake:

I'd also add Lime Pickle (I haven't eaten it for years, but I used to love it)

One of my favourites. I have some in the cupboard right now

My mother used to make pickled eggs with beets and onion...while very pretty pink they were not something i found tasty

I've done that two - they do indeed look pretty and can taste delicious if you add the right spices/herbs.

I don't know how I managed to forget my favourite - piccalilli. Probably because I've never been successful at making it.

View attachment 17515
The Hairy Bikers have a good recipe - not sure if its available on-line. I'll look.

Back
Top Bottom