Favorite Spices

With us being a UK site, we tend to remember the need to either avoid the word completely or search under both spellings.

Thanks for the clarification. San Jose, California, USA is my location. I had been living up in the Napa Valley for the past two years and recently moved back to San Jose. There's a big culinary arts school up there in the Napa Valley wine country and yes, they must be a damn fine school, because lately, Napa Valley chefs have been lauded and one in particularly claimed a world best award. The restaurants up that way are a bit expensive to add to that. The wine industry in the Napa Valley took a bad hit with the recent fires north of the San Francisco Bay Area. Smoked wine anybody?

Please show us a picture...it's so cool that you have a tree in your yard that's productive with something so interesting:

Finger-Lime-Tree-450w-.jpg

I'd guess your climate is similar to what the limes like. This is harvesting season, isn't it?

Sorry, I didn't notice you reply until today.
Finger Limes 9-27-15.jpg

Not sure about harvesting season here. I believe we are opposite of Australia. But then again, citrus is grown this time of year. We can grow blood oranges, but the skin and pulp won't have the blood/sangre color and it will look like most other oranges.

Last edited:
@CraigC -isn't Florida a major producer of citrus crops? I can grow some in south Louisiana but have to be prepared for stupid, crazy winters like this one.

I was just thinking about this yesterday. I have boxes on three shelves containing spices, herbs and pulses. Anything dried. I had tried to organise them into cuisine so an Indian/Pakistani box, a Chinese/Thai/Malaysian box, a box of pulses, a box of European herbs, etc. But it all ended in a mess, especially as there is a crossover in spices . So I realised that my most used - and therefore should be at hand - spices are
chilli powder
chilli flakes
cumin (ground)
coriander (ground)
Turmeric

and in the fridge jars of minced garlic and ginger.

Salt and black pepper are usually at hand for breakfast eggs.

These are what I use on a day-to-day basis, but will toast and grind spices for a special meal or at the weekend when I have time. Tastes so much better when fresh, but time does not always allow. If I make garam masala or Chinese five spice, for example, I always make a bit extra to use the following week or so.

especially as there is a crossover in spices. So I realised that my most used - and therefore should be at hand - spices are
chilli powder
chilli flakes
cumin (ground)
coriander (ground)
Turmeric
I was just thinking about that very thing recently: this is why some culinary "fusion" works so well. In particular, my two favorite cuisines - Asian and Mexican - have a lot of common elements. The first 3 items on your list figure prominently in both, as do garlic, cilantro (what you call coriander leaves), peppers, and rice.

Sea salt and a pepper mill live on the counter. A basket with onions, shallots, garlic and sometimes potatoes on a stand close by. My spice/herb cabinet is a mess! Need to empty it, clean it and organize it - again.

Back
Top Bottom