Favourite Marinade

purplepen88

Veteran
Local time
4:51 AM
In the summer I love to BBQ. I like to get creative with flavours and marinade chicken or pork before I grill. What are some of your faovourite great marinades?

In the summer I love to BBQ. I like to get creative with flavours and marinade chicken or pork before I grill. What are some of your faovourite great marinades?
Hi @purplepen88, I'm vegan so don't really have a favourite marinade or anything like that but I was wondering what yours were because you haven't mentioned it.

I love Harissa for white meats
Honey marjoram and lemon is a good one
Soy and fresh ginger is great for steaks

I love using black bean sauce as well. I have a great marinade using curry powder, garlic, ginger, honey and lime juice.

I tend to mix up a little american-style mustard, with a little ketchup and brown sauce, a sprinkle of pepper and some kind of (vegetarian/vegan) steak seasoning, mix it up and spread it over sausages or vegetables. Gives a lovely sweet and peppery, almost BBQ sauce flavour.

We have a special marinade for barbecue. I just don't know if this is unique to us or just common to others.

The ingredients are one kilo of sliced pork, of course, one clove of crushed garlic, half cup of vinegar, 2 tablespoon of soy sauce, 2 tablespoon of sugar, 2 tablespoon of ketchup. That is the marinade that we use for our barbecue. You have to marinate for at least 1 hour. Wait, I forgot the black pepper, you sprinkle the mxiture for taste. And the grilling is medium only - the fire should not be too hot so the inside would be cooked properly.

I like a good black bean sauce as well, but I often have a hard time finding a good one. Most of what is sold in our stores is the cheap stuff, which doesn't even contain any actual fermented black beans. Instead, it's some odd concoction of corn starch, soy sauce, sugar and other additives to give an approximation of black bean sauce - but it ends up being more of a sweet, bland paste instead. You don't get that tangy, rich, meaty flavor of the real stuff.

I've run into the same problem with Oyster Sauce as well. The only decent brand I can find (aside from seeking out a specialty store) is the Dynasty brand.

Aside from that, one of my favorite marinades for chicken breasts on the grill is just a blend of lemon juice, white wine, butter, salt, white pepper and a little water. You melt it all together in the microwave and stir it. Then just ladle it over the chicken breasts before throwing them on the grill. You don't really have to let them "marinate" in it for any long period of time at all. The butter in it helps the marinade coat the chicken breasts as they are on the grill, and it gives the exterior of the meat a nice flavor, especially when you get some char on it. I should also add, that I also season the chicken with a garlic pepper blend after throwing them on the grill.

Soy and anything I feel to experiment with alongside said soy. Reading about the black bean sauce makes me want to see if I find some around here. Garlic is almost always in my process as well.

This is going to sound weird, but my favorite marinade is Cesar salad dressing from Olive Garden. I will buy it specifically to use as a chicken marinade and it gives it amazing flavor! All you need is a half hour for the marinade to soak in and it is so delicious! Adding a side salad to go along with the meal is also an awesome addition.

When we marinade barbecues, we usually use this combination:

Soy Sauce
Lemon or Calamansi
Oyster Sauce
Ground Pepper

We usually let the meat seat in this marinade overnight, that's the best time. Or if you can't, maybe an hour or so before grilling the barbecue.

When we marinade barbecues, we usually use this combination:

Soy Sauce
Lemon or Calamansi
Oyster Sauce
Ground Pepper

We usually let the meat seat in this marinade overnight, that's the best time. Or if you can't, maybe an hour or so before grilling the barbecue.
I had to look up Calamansi! Its a hybrid between a citrus fruit and a kumquat. Very interesting... I can't get that here but can get kumquats sometimes. So I reckon a mix of kumquat and lime might be good.

We grill a lot so I do have some favorites.

For Veggies: this compliments veggies so well!

http://www.copymethat.com/r/EPw8bUX/citrus-and-herb-marinade-for-vegetables/

Extremely easy: Marinate Pork tenderloin or flank steak overnight. Boneless skinless chicken breasts, no more than 4 hours. For the pork and beef, remove from marinade to a microwave safe dish, microwave on high for 2 1/2 minutes. then grill to your preferred doneness. Using this:
http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Yoshidas-Original-Gourmet-Marinade/dp/B00286BJ90/

this one is also really good in salads
http://www.copymethat.com/r/fpFLpVp/grilled-provencal-chicken-breasts/

Loads of flavor!
http://www.copymethat.com/r/0RQ63zY/grilled-rosemary-chicken-breasts/

Depends on the style/cuisine BBQ I'm making. Most regional US real BBQ use rubs instead of marinades. Also depends on the meat being BBQ'd or grilled. Some folks that do real BBQ also use "mops" which is most often a combination of fruit juices, beer, stock or wine and the rub used. Also the sauces, if used, vary by region.

Back
Top Bottom