Recipe filled quails

Mucchina

Veteran
Local time
1:30 AM
I prepared a pesto made of pork sausage pan fried with minced onion add grated bread, one egg, salt pepper and parsley
I open the fully cleaned quails and fill with the pesto. with the leftover of the pesto, I made some little balls and pass them in the grated bread
then pierced the skin with a stick and wrap the quail in bacon and baked in oven with garilc, sage and thime
also with the balls of pesto's leftovers and a little olive oil

served with baked potatoes :)

Attachments

• quaglia 2.jpg
    quaglia 2.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 171
  • quaglia1.jpg
    quaglia1.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 170
  • quaglia3.jpg
    quaglia3.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 173
What is a quail is that a bird? I know the eggs of a quail and had eaten them before. I had never seen a live or even a dressed quail. From the photos I can tell that they look like chicken am I right? Given the herbs and other spices you put on them I can tell that this dish will be worth a try. Are these animals exotic for some reasons?

in Italy you can find them already cleaned and eviscerated at the supermarket
in the mediterranean area they are abundant
yes is something similar to a chicken, but smaller and that can fly!

What is a quail is that a bird? I know the eggs of a quail and had eaten them before. I had never seen a live or even a dressed quail. From the photos I can tell that they look like chicken am I right? Given the herbs and other spices you put on them I can tell that this dish will be worth a try. Are these animals exotic for some reasons?
We get them in the UK. They are really rather small! Here's a picture of one with some quails eggs. So if you know how small quails eggs are, this will give you an indication.

quail.jpg

Last edited:
Quails were more in fashion a few years ago , having had to bone and stuff loads of them I'm glad they a food fashion of the past
The eggs are still very popular make good fancy scotch eggs !
And poached

Quails were more in fashion a few years ago , having had to bone and stuff loads of them I'm glad they a food fashion of the past
The eggs are still very popular make good fancy scotch eggs !
And poached
I'm very fan of fowls, and if you like it...you must accept to handle with bones XD
I also get mad for guinea fowl...

not a fashion question for me :D

the quail eggs are fantastic cooked making on the blazing plate a contour square made with strips of chees and the egg put in the middle :D

I'm very fan of fowls, and if you like it...you must accept to handle with bones XD
I also get mad for guinea fowl...

not a fashion question for me :D

the quail eggs are fantastic cooked making on the blazing plate a contour square made with strips of chees and the egg put in the middle :D
In the UK we gave such a diverse game season I suppose we had no need for quail ,we start are game season with grouse then geese though new laws say they can be shot all year then partridge ,then pheasant,snipe,woodcock ,pigeon all year around ,g,fowl and duck fill in the season,I do like quail, works well with earthy pulses or sweet items like apricots and honey but it seems to have lost its way in the UK ,another game bird is swan but they are only eaten by the queen at a ceremony in cambridge in june the swan law is another subject

well you lamented for bones in the quail..but pigeon is worst in this sense, there's very little meat in it :) I've never eat it, it wos and old tradition here but it get lost...
I thought swan wasn't good to eat
other fowl I love them all :hungry::hungry:

well you lamented for bones in the quail..but pigeon is worst in this sense, there's very little meat in it :) I've never eat it, it wos and old tradition here but it get lost...
I thought swan wasn't good to eat
other fowl I love them all :hungry::hungry:
Pigeons are vermin available for the cost of a cartridge farmers sometimes even give you a slab of carts and a day out breasts are used as starters ,quails I believe in the UK have to be farmed ,as a restauranter you do the maths
The wild mute swans owned by the queen taste like sewage the ones she eats are fed on oats only the best

There was a quail season here that came and passed. Quail eggs are still popular here although most people eat them for some funny reason.:D

Pigeons are vermin available for the cost of a cartridge farmers sometimes even give you a slab of carts and a day out breasts are used as starters ,quails I believe in the UK have to be farmed ,as a restauranter you do the maths
The wild mute swans owned by the queen taste like sewage the ones she eats are fed on oats only the best
I really like pigeon but usually use only the breast fillets and then make a 'jus' with the rest of the carcass. This way you have no tiny bones in the finished dish. They are really delicious cooked rare (usually, but not always as a starter).

There was a quail season here that came and passed. Quail eggs are still popular here although most people eat them for some funny reason.:D
There is no shooting wild quail in the UK as its protected ,farmed only available all year ,
Eggs are available boiled and peeled in the premium supermarkets and raw in most

There is no shooting wild quail in the UK as its protected ,farmed only available all year ,
Eggs are available boiled and peeled in the premium supermarkets and raw in most

Quail's eggs are such a b_ _ _ _ _ to peel though! I have tried the trick of putting them cooked with 'shell on' in vinegar which dissolves the shell, partially and makes it easier to peel. That works quite well. But I wonder how they peel those pre-prepared ones for the supermarket. Are there lots of people picking patiently away at the shells in a factory somewhere! Somehow I reckon they have a more efficient solution.

Back
Top Bottom