Recipe Fish en Papillote with blackberry sauce

medtran49

Forum GOD!
Local time
9:16 PM
2018-11-25 18.54.44.jpg

Two white fish fillets, such as halibut or the thick part of a cod fillet, about 1-1/2 to 2 inches thick
1/2 cup very thinly sliced fresh fennel
1/2 cup very thinly sliced sweet onion
1/2 to 1 tsp fresh fennel fronds
1/4 fresh lemon
2 Tbsp melted butter
salt and pepper
Parchment paper

Sauce
3/4 cup fresh blackberries, 2 berries reserved for garnish
1 Tbsp blackberry jam
1/2 tsp sherry vinegar
Tiny pinch of cayenne
Salt and pepper

Wash and drain the blackberries. Smash them in a small bowl. Stir in remainder of sauce ingredients. Taste for seasoning and adjust as needed. Set aside.

Preheat oven to 450 F. Using 14 to 16 inches of parchment paper, cut into a heart shape. Mix fennel, onions and fronds together. With point of parchment heart toward you, place half of fennel and onion mix just to the right side of center. Salt and pepper. Drizzle a little of the butter on top. Place 1 of the fillets on top of the fennel/onion mixture, squeeze a little lemon juice on it, then drizzle with a tiny bit of the butter, salt and pepper. Fold other half of paper over. Starting at wide end, fold over about 1/3 inch of paper like a rope. See picture.

2018-11-25 18.55.15.jpg

Bake for 12-15 minutes depending on size of your fillet. Remove from oven, place packet on plate. Open.packet by cutting an X in paper and folding back. Spoon sauce over, place a blackberry on top or to the side and serve.

We were going to have this with wild rice, but didn't realize we were low so ended up making a pilaf with onion, celery and mushrooms sauteed in butter until tender, adding rice and toasting, then adding chicken broth, salt and pepper, and cooking until done.

Last edited:
View attachment 20801

Two white fish fillets, such as halibut or the thick part of a cod fillet, about 1-1/2 to 2 inches thick
1/2 cup very thinly sliced fresh fennel
1/2 cup very thinly sliced sweet onion
1/2 to 1 tsp fresh fennel fronds
1/4 fresh lemon
2 Tbsp melted butter
salt and pepper
Parchment paper

Sauce
3/4 cup fresh blackberries, 2 berries reserved for garnish
1 Tbsp blackberry jam
1/2 tsp sherry vinegar
Tiny pinch of cayenne
Salt and pepper

Wash and drain the blackberries. Smash them in a small bowl. Stir in remainder of sauce ingredients. Taste for seasoning and adjust as needed. Set aside.

Preheat oven to 450 F. Using 14 to 16 inches of parchment paper, cut into a heart shape. Mix fennel, onions and fronds together. With point of parchment heart toward you, place half of each fennel and onion just to the right side of center. Salt and pepper. Drizzle a little of the butter on top. Place 1 of the fillets on top of the fennel/onion mixture, squeeze a little lemon juice on it, then drizzle with a tiny bit of the buttet salt and pepper. Fold other half of paper over. Starting at wide end, fold over about 1/3 inch of paper like a rope. See picture.

View attachment 20804

Bake for 12-15 minutes depending on size of your fillet. Remove from oven, place packet on plate. Open.packet by cutting an X in paper and folding back. Spoon sauce over, place a blackberry on top or to the side and serve.

We were going to have this with wild rice, but didn't realize we were low so ended up making a pilaf with onion, celery and mushrooms sauteed in butter until tender, adding rice and toasting, then adding chicken broth, salt and pepper, and cooking until done.

I had never heard before fish with a blackberry sauce. I cooked and ate several times the white fish with citrus fruits, but with the blackberries not yet, is on my list now. Very interesting, I like to experiment new combinations.

Last edited:
I had never heard before fish with a blackberry sauce. I cooked and ate several times the white fish with citrus fruits, but the blackberries not yet, is on my list now. Very interesting, I like to experiment new combinations.

I hadn't either until I started looking for something different to have. There were also recipes using blueberries, but I liked the idea of blackberries better. The berry sauces apparently go very well with salmon, but we prefer halibut or cod.

I hadn't either until I started looking for something different to have. There were also recipes using blueberries, but I liked the idea of blackberries better. The berry sauces apparently go very well with salmon, but we prefer halibut or cod.

Right, I had forgotten the combination salmon and berry sauces, very good.
Thank you for sharing your recipe @medtran49

Back
Top Bottom