Recipe Fish Stew

Elawin

Guru
Local time
1:18 PM
A James Martin recipe!

upload_2017-12-21_21-5-55.png

This quick one-pot is packed with salmon, clams, mussels and rich lobster. It's the perfect decadent dish for entertaining over the Christmas break.

Serves: 6

Ingredients:

2 lobsters
500 g clams
500 g mussels
500 g salmon (cut into 4 pieces)
50 ml olive oil
50 g butter
3 star anise
2 onions, peeled and chopped
4 sticks of celery, chopped
1 bulb garlic, peeled and chopped
2 green peppers
3 green chillies
200 ml white wine
500 ml double cream
2 leeks, chopped
1 baguette or cooked new potatoes

Method:
  1. Place a large frying pan over a medium heat and melt the butter with the oil. Add the onions, garlic, star anise, celery, peppers, chilli and leeks. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
  2. Add the wine and bring to the boil, then add all the fish, shellfish and cream.
  3. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
  4. Serve with charred bread and or new potatoes.
From <http://www.itv.com/saturdaymorning/saturday-morning-recipes/fish-stew>

Last edited:
I absolutely trust James Martin (I had a dream in which he featured, once!). But... the onions and other veg get very little cooking, I'm thinking. I'm presuming the lobster is chopped up rather than whole? Anyway, I love shellfish!

I absolutely trust James Martin (I had a dream in which he featured, once!). But... the onions and other veg get very little cooking, I'm thinking. I'm presuming the lobster is chopped up rather than whole? Anyway, I love shellfish!
If you look on ITV hub, you should be able to watch the programme (9 December), or there may be a clip on the SMJM web site. I did watch it, but I honestly can't remember. I do tend to go and make a cup of tea when he has fish recipes on there:laugh::laugh:

PS James actually confessed to a near disaster on one of his shows :giggle:

I'm not knocking the guy, but in my experience, seafood cooks at different rates. I always stagger the addition of items that take more time with those that take less. My concern of adding all at once is that it would result in some items being over cooked and some under cooked.

If you look on ITV hub, you should be able to watch the programme (9 December), or there may be a clip on the SMJM web site. I did watch it, but I honestly can't remember. I do tend to go and make a cup of tea when he has fish recipes on there:laugh::laugh:

PS James actually confessed to a near disaster on one of his shows :giggle:

but in my experience, seafood cooks at different rates.

I'll try to check it out. I'm assuming the lobster is pre-cooked hence it going in at the same time as clams and salmon. A 5 minute simmer would be about right for those wouldn't it? :scratchhead:Although, I was always taught to cook clams and mussels until they 'just' open.

I'll try to check it out. I'm assuming the lobster is pre-cooked hence it going in at the same time as clams and salmon. A 5 minute simmer would be about right for those wouldn't it? :scratchhead:Although, I was always taught to cook clams and mussels until they 'just' open.

I would think that putting the mussels and clams in at the same time as the fish would result in over cooked fish when the clams did open. Fresh fish, like salmon takes very little time to poach in the broth. Monkfish would probably be ok. I'm just being curious.

I've watched the programme again. (If you can get it, the link is https://www.itv.com/hub/james-martins-saturday-morning/2a5159a0015 and starts at about one hour in). It's cooked in real time, and he adds prawns and crab as well. The prawns go in first, followed by the crab, the mussels and the clams. Then he puts in the chopped up pre-cooked lobster, and finally the salmon. Most fishmongers that I know in the UK sell pre-cooked lobsters.

I've watched the programme again. (If you can get it, the link is https://www.itv.com/hub/james-martins-saturday-morning/2a5159a0015 and starts at about one hour in). It's cooked in real time, and he adds prawns and crab as well. The prawns go in first, followed by the crab, the mussels and the clams. Then he puts in the chopped up pre-cooked lobster, and finally the salmon. Most fishmongers that I know in the UK sell pre-cooked lobsters.

I watched it too! Irritatingly I couldn't fast forward easily as it goes back to ads all the time if you try to. But I wrote down the times when he put the ingredients in. The salmon was last, as you say. I think its not a properly written recipe as he just made it 'live' on the programme and someone (not him) has written it up for the website.

I watched it too! Irritatingly I couldn't fast forward easily as it goes back to ads all the time if you try to. But I wrote down the times when he put the ingredients in. The salmon was last, as you say. I think its not a properly written recipe as he just made it 'live' on the programme and someone (not him) has written it up for the website.
Or judging by the amount of wine that was flowing, they forgot :laugh: I didn't have any trouble fast forwarding. The secret is to click in the middle of a slot and backtrack - you then only get the sponsors' bit come up and no adverts.

Or judging by the amount of wine that was flowing, they forgot :laugh: I didn't have any trouble fast forwarding. The secret is to click in the middle of a slot and backtrack - you then only get the sponsors' bit come up and no adverts.

I sort of realised that afterwards (re the fast forwarding)! And yes they did seem very merry. I think its a great way to cook shellfish/fish. As he said - don't be afraid. At least, I think he said something like that.:)

I sort of realised that afterwards (re the fast forwarding)! And yes they did seem very merry. I think its a great way to cook shellfish/fish. As he said - don't be afraid. At least, I think he said something like that.:)
Well the short cooking time must have worked, because they are all still alive :laugh: Like you also said, I trust James's recipes implicitly. Just a shame I can't try them all out. but I have cooked quite a few of his other recipes over the years now.

Back
Top Bottom