Recipe Fish Tagine with Charmola Marinade

Francesca

Local time
2:26 AM
TANGIER, is a fascinating Port City in Northern Africa, has an incredible international inheritance that reflects in its epicurism .. Most Moroccan fish dishes are prepared with Charmola, a marinade.
This marinade consists of: Paprika, Cumin, Garlic, Tumeric, Saffron and a bit of Cilantro or Parsley.

Here is a lovely traditional Tangier based récipe that was given to me at the Hotel I dined in 2 years ago, and I make it at home as well ..

This récipe serves 4:

1/2 Cup Spanish or French Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
1/4 Cup Minced Fresh Parsley
3 large garlic cloves, minced roughly
3 Teaspoons minced cilantro
1 tablespoon Sweet Paprika
2 Teaspoons ground tumeric
1/8 of a teaspoon of Saffron Threads
Four fresh wild fish fillets of local availability: For example: Seabass, Gilt Bream, John Dory, Grouper, Hake, Cod Fish, Skrei etcetra ..

1 pound of carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
1 1 /2 pounds of red ripe firm tomatoes, thinly sliced ( I peel and de-seed )
1 large onion or 1 large leek + a shallot minced
1 large lemon, thinly sliced
1 tsp. salt of choice
3/4 tsp. Freshly ground black, rose, White and Green pepper
1 médium sweet red bell pepper , seeded and sliced into 1/4 inch strips
24 Kalamata Olives

THIS CAN BE PREPARED IN A LARGE TAGINE, OR A GLASS CASSEROLE BAKING VESSEL.

1) Combine the 1st seven ingredients in a large glass bowl. Add the fish fillets and turn for coating.
Refrigerate for 2 hours and turn gently occassionally.

2) Pre heat the oven to 350 degrees farenheit.

Put the carrot slices on the bottom of a glass baking dish approx. 13 x 9 or a LARGE TAGINE and layer half the tomatoes and the leek & shallot or onion, and half of the lemon juice drizzled over ..

3) Season with half of the salt and pepper.

4) THE FISH: Drain the marinade from the fish and RESERVE the marinade.

5) Arrange the fish atop the lemon slices and place the remaining tomatoes, onion, lemon slices and season all with salt and pepper.

6) Place the bell pepper strips and olives as your last layer ..

7) Drizzle the reserved marinade over the contents and Cover with foil or the TOP of the TAGINE.

8) Bake for 40 minutes ..

9) Increase the oven temperature to 375 farenheit and bake until the fish flakes and vegetables are tender .. 20 minutes at this temperature ..

10) Garnish with fresh minced parsely and extra lemon slices ..

*** HARISSA CAN BE SERVED IN A SAUCE BOAT FOR THOSE WHO LIKE " THE PICANT " ..

TANGIER, is a fascinating Port City in Northern Africa, has an incredible international inheritance that reflects in its epicurism .. Most Moroccan fish dishes are prepared with Charmola, a marinade.
This marinade consists of: Paprika, Cumin, Garlic, Tumeric, Saffron and a bit of Cilantro or Parsley.

Here is a lovely traditional Tangier based récipe that was given to me at the Hotel I dined in 2 years ago, and I make it at home as well ..

This récipe serves 4:

1/2 Cup Spanish or French Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
1/4 Cup Minced Fresh Parsley
3 large garlic cloves, minced roughly
3 Teaspoons minced cilantro
1 tablespoon Sweet Paprika
2 Teaspoons ground tumeric
1/8 of a teaspoon of Saffron Threads
Four fresh wild fish fillets of local availability: For example: Seabass, Gilt Bream, John Dory, Grouper, Hake, Cod Fish, Skrei etcetra ..

1 pound of carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
1 1 /2 pounds of red ripe firm tomatoes, thinly sliced ( I peel and de-seed )
1 large onion or 1 large leek + a shallot minced
1 large lemon, thinly sliced
1 tsp. salt of choice
3/4 tsp. Freshly ground black, rose, White and Green pepper
1 médium sweet red bell pepper , seeded and sliced into 1/4 inch strips
24 Kalamata Olives

THIS CAN BE PREPARED IN A LARGE TAGINE, OR A GLASS CASSEROLE BAKING VESSEL.

1) Combine the 1st seven ingredients in a large glass bowl. Add the fish fillets and turn for coating.
Refrigerate for 2 hours and turn gently occassionally.

2) Pre heat the oven to 350 degrees farenheit.

Put the carrot slices on the bottom of a glass baking dish approx. 13 x 9 or a LARGE TAGINE and layer half the tomatoes and the leek & shallot or onion, and half of the lemon juice drizzled over ..

3) Season with half of the salt and pepper.

4) THE FISH: Drain the marinade from the fish and RESERVE the marinade.

5) Arrange the fish atop the lemon slices and place the remaining tomatoes, onion, lemon slices and season all with salt and pepper.

6) Place the bell pepper strips and olives as your last layer ..

7) Drizzle the reserved marinade over the contents and Cover with foil or the TOP of the TAGINE.

8) Bake for 40 minutes ..

9) Increase the oven temperature to 375 farenheit and bake until the fish flakes and vegetables are tender .. 20 minutes at this temperature ..

10) Garnish with fresh minced parsely and extra lemon slices ..

*** HARISSA CAN BE SERVED IN A SAUCE BOAT FOR THOSE WHO LIKE " THE PICANT " ..

Would this typically be cooked with a single variety of fish, or a mixture of those you listed? Does "minced" translate to "chopped"?

Would this typically be cooked with a single variety of fish, or a mixture of those you listed? Does "minced" translate to "chopped"?

@epicuric :

Good morning ( 10.20 am here ),

To answer your questions:

1) I only use 1 type of fish ..

2) Mince = to slice extremely tiny and finely into tiny pieces.

Thank you for all your interest. It is lovely.

Back
Top Bottom