Fishcakes ?

sidevalve

Guru
Local time
9:37 PM
No not those strange things made from mashed up bits of fish shaped into roughly round cakes and fried but the real fishcake. This is a slice of fish [each to their own but it's usually cod up here] sandwiched by two slices of potato dipped in batter and deep fried. Is this a northern thing [here in the UK only ?] or maybe just a Yorkshire thing ?
In fact I don't seem to hear of them either up here in County Durham or down south. Is the true fishcake a dying breed ?

No not those strange things made from mashed up bits of fish shaped into roughly round cakes and fried but the real fishcake. This is a slice of fish [each to their own but it's usually cod up here] sandwiched by two slices of potato dipped in batter and deep fried. Is this a northern thing [here in the UK only ?] or maybe just a Yorkshire thing ?
In fact I don't seem to hear of them either up here in County Durham or down south. Is the true fishcake a dying breed ?
According to Nigella, its a "Yorkshire thing", not to be confused with the round sort you mentioned.

I saw Fish Cakes and my mouth starts to water and then I come here I am so disappointed:ohmy:. Please tell of the 'real fishcake'. I am dying to hear what can be compared to my local fishcake, one of the few things I can't resist.Made of batter which is made with shredded cod/salt fish, flour, baking powder and all the right seasonings this salt fish is a local delight and one I try to stay far away from because of all the all associated with the frying.

I'd love to see a recipe.

I saw Fish Cakes and my mouth starts to water and then I come here I am so disappointed:ohmy:.
I'd love to see a recipe.

for the fishcakes
16 slices potatoes (1/4 inch)
450 grams white fish (cod or haddock)
1 plain flour (for dusting)
1 lard (or vegetable oil, for frying)
1 salt
1 vinegar

for the batter
175 grams plain flour
2 tablespoons salt
125 ml water
150 ml malt vinegar

Method

To make the batter, put the flour and salt in a bowl, and make a well in the centre. Add the water and vinegar and whisk until smooth.
Leave to rest.
Using a 6cm (2½ in) ring, cut the potato slices into even sizes. Cut the fish into thin 55g (2 oz) pieces of a similar size.
Dust lightly with flour.
Sandwich the pieces of the fish between two pieces of potato. Dip the cakes into the flour and shake off the excess, then dip into the batter to cover well.
Heat the lard, beef dripping or oil, in a flat- bottomed pan to about 190°C / 375°F. Carefully drop a fishcake into the hot fat and let it settle to the bottom. Add another couple of fishcakes if there is room.
They will rise to the top when hot enough, about 5 minutes. Turn over, and then cook for another 5 minutes, until brown.
Take out and drain well on kitchen paper.
They're better left for 5 minutes as they are too hot to eat straightway, and they do need to drain very well.
Serve hot with salt and vinegar and if you like tomato ketchup.

That sounds great! I will definitely have to try that. We really do not have anything like that here in Kentucky. Do you use any other seasoning when making this other than salt, pepper, and vinegar?

I'm not sure that was ever the true definition of a fish cakes!
My family is from Lancashire and I have never heard of that 'cake'. I will ask me step father or father in laws next time I see them.

Fish cakes do sound delicious, but I have never heard of or seen them prepared like this before. When I think of fish cakes, I think of kind of the same thing as a crab cake in which you make the mixture, form it into a patty, and then fry it.

That sounds great! I will definitely have to try that. We really do not have anything like that here in Kentucky. Do you use any other seasoning when making this other than salt, pepper, and vinegar?
No. And I wouldn't use the vinegar.

I'm not sure that was ever the true definition of a fish cakes!
My family is from Lancashire and I have never heard of that 'cake'. I will ask me step father or father in laws next time I see them.
Known as a "sarnie/sandwich" round here.

Thanks you for providing me with the recipe, but truth be told I have to make my local fishcake before I attempt this one, malted vinegar and all. I have probably made them only twice when I was much younger and they never came out nice and round because I did not use the right amount of oil I think. Mine were more like bakes. This recipe below seems like the one I would make if I did not consult my mom.

http://www.aquila-style.com/focus-points/global-snapshots/grandmas-barbadian-fishcakes/89124/

I haven't come across this before. My partner comes from Sunderland, and he hasn't heard of them. Sounds great though!

Defiantly not a southern thing,but like every good dish adjusted to tastes ,
We serve loads of our fish cakes every week 5k of fresh salmon chopped dill,coarse Dijon mustard,good mash to bind ,mold while hot ,flour ,egg ,and bread crumb,
Deep fry ,serve with a poached egg and a warm garlic butter sauce

Thanks you for providing me with the recipe, but truth be told I have to make my local fishcake before I attempt this one, malted vinegar and all. I have probably made them only twice when I was much younger and they never came out nice and round because I did not use the right amount of oil I think. Mine were more like bakes. This recipe below seems like the one I would make if I did not consult my mom.

http://www.aquila-style.com/focus-points/global-snapshots/grandmas-barbadian-fishcakes/89124/
A great local interpretation of a dish,sounds great,similar in many ways to gnochi mix deep fried,
A dish I loved not so much main stream now is dauphine potatoes ,a French dish of half pomme purree and half choux paste moulded and deep fried ,we would roll salt ciod and chillis into this as a strarter,and serve with lemon crime fraiche
Again a regional idea on a great dish

Back
Top Bottom