Recipe Flageolet bean & tomato salad

Wandering Bob

Über Member
Local time
12:57 PM
Over the years I've veered away from using vinaigrettes in salads. I've found that even though I'm light-handed with the vinegar and much more heavy-handed with oil, I still find the taste of the vinegar a distraction. I much prefer a simple EVOO (lol) dressing for most simple cold salads.

This recipe (for one person) marries the slightly earthy taste of flageolet beans with tomatoes, garlic and basil and a good olive oil (I used Carapelli 'Classico').

Half a 200g tin of flageolet beans - rinsed, drained and then patted dry with kitchen paper
A small tomato, de-stalked and chopped into small pieces
1 small clove of garlic, chopped fine
¼ tsp of dried basil
1.5 gloops of EVOO (probably just over 1 tablespoonful)
Fine sea salt
Black pepper

Pour the EVOO into a small salad bowl. Add a pinch of fine sea salt, a good grind of black peppercorns, the dried basil and the chopped garlic.

Add the chopped tomato and the flageolet beans to the salad. Mix together well so that everything is covered with the flavoured oil.

Flag, tom & basil salad.JPG

Over the years I've veered away from using vinaigrettes in salads. I've found that even though I'm light-handed with the vinegar and much more heavy-handed with oil, I still find the taste of the vinegar a distraction. I much prefer a simple EVOO (lol) dressing for most simple cold salads.

This recipe (for one person) marries the slightly earthy taste of flageolet beans with tomatoes, garlic and basil and a good olive oil (I used Carapelli 'Classico').

Half a 200g tin of flageolet beans - rinsed, drained and then patted dry with kitchen paper
A small tomato, de-stalked and chopped into small pieces
1 small clove of garlic, chopped fine
¼ tsp of dried basil
1.5 gloops of EVOO (probably just over 1 tablespoonful)
Fine sea salt
Black pepper

Pour the EVOO into a small salad bowl. Add a pinch of fine sea salt, a good grind of black peppercorns, the dried basil and the chopped garlic.

Add the chopped tomato and the flageolet beans to the salad. Mix together well so that everything is covered with the flavoured oil.

View attachment 21914
Am I right in assuming that as you haven't mentioned heating the beans that this dish is served cold? If so, a nice healthy portable lunch!

Am I right in assuming that as you haven't mentioned heating the beans that this dish is served cold? If so, a nice healthy portable lunch!

You're right that I didn't heat them. Sometimes I'll heat red kidney beans, or black beans, and make a 'hot salad' - but not this one.

A portable lunch - mmm, I hadn't thought of that. Yes, it would be good to carry it in my day-bag on the bike - as long as I also remember to take a spoon with me. I'm happy to eat just about anything with my fingers, but not when I'm cycling....

Back
Top Bottom