Food Courts - would you eat at one?

Yorky

RIP 21/01/2024
Local time
1:18 PM
I first came across "Food Courts" in Kuala Lumpur in '95. I was impressed with the idea as I used to dine with Malays, Indians, Chindians, Chinese and Sri Lankans and the court that we frequented at lunchtime catered for most.

In Singapore I found an excellent food court which had one of the best Indian food outlets that I'd experienced outside India.

Even in Ellesmere Port my wife and I visited a food court where my wife could eat Singapore noodles and I could drool over Harry Ramsden's fish and chips (although not as good as the Guiseley originals).

Would you eat at a food court?

Although I've never ordered anything other than chips from a food court, I can be tempted to eat their meals, especially if they don't cost too much. For those of you who may not know where the restroom is at the mall, you'll easily find one in the food court.

I must admit my only experience of food courts has been chain restaurants and fast-food in the UK : Nandos, Burger King etc. I've yet to find a food court with ethnic offerings.

I found an excellent Indian food outlet at a food court in Perth, W.A.

Yes.

The food court at The Trafford Centre near Manchester has a huge variety of meals from well known chains and smaller local businesses, healthy and unhealthy. Plus points include convenience and choice. Negative points are the sometimes quite high noise levels and difficulties in finding a table when it's busy.

Oh yes, I would eat there. Food courts are usually found in malls here in the States.
We do corn dogs at ours and Philly cheese steak at the one in the next town.
There are no big chains in our food courts.

I've eaten at one many, many, many times. The last time that I've eaten at one was at Amtrak's Union Station in Washington. Before that, it was at the one in the Wheaton Mall in Maryland. The food is nice, even though some of the eateries don't stay there long. :wink:

Yes.

The food court at The Trafford Centre near Manchester has a huge variety of meals from well known chains and smaller local businesses, healthy and unhealthy. Plus points include convenience and choice. Negative points are the sometimes quite high noise levels and difficulties in finding a table when it's busy.
I don't go to big shopping complexes, however I did once experience The Trafford Centre. At the time I described the whole thing as "Like any normal shopping centre but with too much make up and too short a skirt for its age"
The food court is something to behold. I stuck to the Harry Ramsden fish (I too ate at the proper Harry Ramsden's in Guisely in the 1970s). Anyway, for those who haven't been:

1000px-Trafford_Centre.jpg

I remember maybe 1967 we passed Harry's at 4:00 pm on a Thursday and there was about twenty people in the queue outside the restaurant.

I don't go to big shopping complexes, however I did once experience The Trafford Centre. At the time I described the whole thing as "Like any normal shopping centre but with too much make up and too short a skirt for its age"
The food court is something to behold. I stuck to the Harry Ramsden fish (I too ate at the proper Harry Ramsden's in Guisely in the 1970s). Anyway, for those who haven't been:

View attachment 5525

Don't all food courts look like this? :p:

Back
Top Bottom