Food for All Hallow's Day

jennyb

Über Member
Local time
6:26 AM
In the UK halloween has become a popular festival especially with young folk. My grandson (9 years) is already talking about it and the shops are full halloween type foods which include toffee apples, pumpkins and lots of sweets for trick or treat. I was wondering what food people make for halloween. I am making some scary halloween cookies for my grandson.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/scary_halloween_cookies_86970

Sincé, November 1st is a Spanish and Italian National Bank Holiday, called All Saints Day, it is normal for us to spend the weekend away or to do something special on a day off .. Of course, it is also a day in which, those who have lost dear ones, go pay their respects at the Cemetary if they were buried in this format.

Halloween is not a huge tradition in Spain and very young kids celebrate it in some schools with costumes and make up ..

We work on this day, the 31st and our 2 grandsons are almost 6 and almost 7 years old and they live 2 hours via car north .. So, we do not celebrate together unless it falls out on a weekend ..

When my husband and I were at University, we won a prize for the best masquerade costumes (rented) at a local Discotec .. It was alot of fun ..

Cute idea for a post ..
Have a nice weekend.

WOW - I thought Halloween was an American commercial celebration.

I do the deal of giving out candy if George is home. He gets a kick out of handing out candy to little beggars.

OK - I am a Halloween Scrooge. :p:

If George is not home I turn off the lights and retire to my bedroom with a book, wine and savory snacks.

I honor the memory of deceased loved ones on All Soul's Day - Nov. 2nd. I visit grave sites and place pots of mums on the graves of my deceased family members. Unfortunately there is a new grave to visit this year. My lovely, 51 year old cousin died a couple of weeks ago.

Sorry - I have no emotional connection to Halloween.

Sorry - I have no emotional connection to Halloween.
November 1st is a Spanish and Italian National Bank Holiday, called All Saints Day,
In the UK this meaning of Halloween (All Saints) is not celebrated or even known about by most people. Its all ghouls and witches here!

In the UK this meaning of Halloween (All Saints) is not celebrated or even known about by most people. Its all ghouls and witches here!

@morning glory

As I am sure you are aware, Spain and Italy are predominately Roman Catholic countries and it is also the day in which the most flowers are sold for those visiting cemetaries to pay their respects to the their dear ones who passed on ..

The majority of holidays in Spain and Italy as well, are Saints Days, Independence Anniversaries amongst are bank holidays and all companies except rotating retail are closed ..

Have a nice evening ..

I didn't know that. :oops: I still think most people in the UK wouldn't realise the association. Perhaps I'm wrong?

@morning glory

There are approx. 600, 000 British living in Spain, and they have a day off in the bars, beaches, mountains, urban centres, etcetra.

However, Spain is still a very traditional Roman Catholic country when it comes to their holidays or feast days.

They even celebrate, the birthday of the Saint that they were named after .. For example: José is March 19th and it is also Father´s Day, a bank holiday !

People may not go to Mass but they celebrate their Saint´s Birthday & baptise their children and their children prepare for their communions ..

@morning glory

There are approx. 600, 000 British living in Spain, and they have a day off in the bars, beaches, mountains, urban centres, etcetra.

However, Spain is still a very traditional Roman Catholic country when it comes to their holidays or feast days.

They even celebrate, the birthday of the Saint that they were named after .. For example: José is March 19th and it is also Father´s Day, a bank holiday !

People may not go to Mass but they celebrate their Saint´s Birthday & baptise their children and their children prepare for their communions ..

I always forget what a bunch of heathens we all are in the UK. Well, not everyone, but generally speaking most people are not very religious. I wasn't christened/baptised and was brought up agnostic. None of my kids were christened either. And I wasn't married to their father(s). I digress. Marriage, if anything has probably gained in popularity in the UK over the last 50 years. I'm just an old die-hard feminist... :D

Back on topic. We don't celebrate Saint's days in the UK. At least, I don't think so. Someone may correct me.

Sincé, November 1st is a Spanish and Italian National Bank Holiday, called All Saints Day, it is normal for us to spend the weekend away or to do something special on a day off .. Of course, it is also a day in which, those who have lost dear ones, go pay their respects at the Cemetary if they were buried in this format.

Halloween is not a huge tradition in Spain and very young kids celebrate it in some schools with costumes and make up ..

We work on this day, the 31st and our 2 grandsons are almost 6 and almost 7 years old and they live 2 hours via car north .. So, we do not celebrate together unless it falls out on a weekend ..

When my husband and I were at University, we won a prize for the best masquerade costumes (rented) at a local Discotec .. It was alot of fun ..

Cute idea for a post ..
Have a nice weekend.

Yes November 1st is All Saints and November 2nd is the Day of Dead and the tradition is to go to the cemetery to pay homage to their dead. Halloween is not our tradition, but in recent years has become a celebration also in Italy. I have a lot of respect for this tradition, but I also find it a little ridiculous to do it here because we have nothing to do with it.. fashion seems to reign over traditions as well. I have never celebrated it, I'm happy to celebrate our Carnival on February, days when we mask and have party.

Last edited:
October 31: Halloween, or Trick-or-Treat. It's been around in the U.S. for longer than I have. I found a 2015 article from the Daily Mail while looking for information. I sounds like it's a corruption of the "...ancient Celtic festival of Samhain...".

November 1: All Saints Day. In the U.S., it is a day for Catholics to pray to the saints in intercede with God on their behalf, and to celebrate the fact that all can achieve sainthood in their lives. (I'm pretty sure hubby qualifies as a saint, since he's put up with me for decades...) Attendance is usually mandatory at Mass, depending on the availability of a priest to say Mass.

November 2: All Souls Day, or Day of the Dead (Mexico) This is another day that many Catholics will attend Mass on, praying for the souls of their deceased loved ones. Families will also visit the graves of their loved ones.

Trick-or-Treat in our neighborhood is crazy. We are a couple of miles from more rural roads with no paved sidewalks and houses far apart. Our lots are only 100 feet wide, and we're in a rather orderly designed neighborhood. The clincher? The start of our neighborhood (of four parallel streets connected at each end, so as to form what would look like a music staff from the sky) is just a few hundred feet from a shopping center with a very large parking lot. Our neighbor up the street has a clicker tally counter and keeps an accurate count of how many "beggers" he gets at his door. Last year was something like 374! I tend to make a pot-o'-something, like soup or stew, so that we can grab cups full of it and sit on the porch and hand treats out. We've been pretty lucky with weather, staying in the upper 50s or 60 degrees most of the evening.

Halloween is Tuesday and George will be out of town. YEAH!! I will sequester myself in the bedroom with my current read and an adult beverage. I was thinking wine but @Dados1950 I may have a Bloody Mary instead.

The neighborhood young ones are growing up and are opting for neighborhood parties instead of "Trick or Treat". The Ghouls and Goblins that show up are from outside of the neighborhood.

When my nieces and nephew were young we gathered as a family in my Sister's neighborhood. Her next door neighbor made a huge pot of chicken and sausage gumbo. We would eat then hit the streets. Each year we picked a theme for costumes. Children and adults dressed.

I have to admit that it was fun. The children are now grown with children of their own. Living away. I have turned into a Halloween Scrooge.

Back
Top Bottom