Food for kids to cook

I love working with fondant. My little girls only two and a half and her favourite word nowadays is mine. That and mummy dont talk. So whenevr i bake cupcakes I let her have herr way decoirating onne or two when she decides their "mine"

Just a thought - as above when they are small make it fun but as they get a little older remember you wont always be there. They will grow up, maybe go to college or university or away on 'gap years' etc. Teach them how to cook food that is both easy, quick and filling. AND make sure it can be done with as little equipment as possible. They will thank you for it

I didn't get a chance to do it, but I want my 11-year-old grand nephew to begin making homemade pound cakes, such as the 7up Cake.
It should be easy for him to do, because he would only need 6 ingredients for it!

Next time that we are together again, I will be more than happy to show him how to make one. It shouldn't be too hard for him to do, because he already has his own kitchen appliances, as well as his own little mixer that his mom bought for him. He would need a 10-inch tube pan, and if there isn't one in the house, then I will buy one for him & his family to keep and use at his & their leisure.

Himself and his family are big lovers of sweet things, and since he so adorns cooking & baking, he might as well learn & get into stuff that is a little bit more advanced, but not too hard for him to do! :wink:

Hey Sherm, that photo made me want to eat that plate of food too - it looked really good!

I've recently introduced some younger people to baking instead of cooking too - I find their attention spans for such things are much easier when there's just startup and ending time (when it's baking they can run off while it bakes) and then come back to examine results. Also make sure they wear the right protective gear! Too many burns in my line of work (cooking) so I can't but help advise this, especially when working with kids.

Thanks!

Yeah, I just can't stress that enough to my 11-year-old grand nephew. To protect himself at all times while he cooks.

I'm truly enjoying this!! Being there for him and helping to guide him along the way about the joys of cooking!! Trust me when I say this; That there is not ANYONE in my family's younger generation of kids who are THIS much into cooking at all!! This boy is really determined to take joy & pride in doing what he likes to do best!!

It is almost like a gift to me that for the very first time in the history of the family, that a boy of this age is devoted to cooking & baking as his #1 hobby at home. I'm pretty certain that his mom & dad are just as proud of him as well! He already chose his path, and if he keeps this up, which I'm sure that he will, he won't become one of the at-risk teens out there when he reaches his teen years.

Their dad is a sgt, and he believes in determination, strength & will power, so quite naturally, this philosophy is being passed down to his & his wife's children. I also would like to see his older brother develop a hobby that'll stick with him for life. He's not into cooking, but guess what? He's almost 13 years old, & mama won't be around him at times, so guess who's going to cook for him while their mom is at work and they're off from school?

If I know him, he'll ask his brother to make something for him to eat. Hah!!

Last edited:
A lot of kids seem to enjoy baking... I think it's mainly to do with the fact that the outcome is cookies, cakes and other types of desserts.
It's great for kids to cook, and I think the limit should be more in the time it takes. Kids rarely have the patience to spend long times in the kitchen so when going for normal meals, I'd say stick to something that takes a very maximum of 30 minutes to prepare.

While they might not always be the easiest dished to make I've also noticed that their motivation is a lot higher if it's one of their favourite foods. So basically, teach them to cook what they want to eat!

A lot of kids seem to enjoy baking... I think it's mainly to do with the fact that the outcome is cookies, cakes and other types of desserts.
It's great for kids to cook, and I think the limit should be more in the time it takes. Kids rarely have the patience to spend long times in the kitchen so when going for normal meals, I'd say stick to something that takes a very maximum of 30 minutes to prepare.

While they might not always be the easiest dished to make I've also noticed that their motivation is a lot higher if it's one of their favourite foods. So basically, teach them to cook what they want to eat!

Yeah, I think that goes without saying.

He normally cooks what he likes to eat, and I'm quite sure that the rest of his family agrees with what he cooks & bakes.
After all, why would he want to cook something that he won't eat, unless someone else in the family asks him to? There ARE some things that he won't eat, I'm sure. One of them is shrimp.
But I'm quite sure that as he gets a little older, he may think differently of it. Children, at times, detest eating a particular thing, but usually change their minds as they get a little older.:wink: :stop:

Last edited:
Also, a lot of "No-bake" ideas where you have to let things set in the fridge also helps wonders too for their attention spans - I find they can make batters, read directions, and follow advice just fine - for a limited time (in most cases). I wish I had someone dedicated to learning as your nephew was, but I have to work with what I go haha! :laugh:

Also, a lot of "No-bake" ideas where you have to let things set in the fridge also helps wonders too for their attention spans - I find they can make batters, read directions, and follow advice just fine - for a limited time (in most cases). I wish I had someone dedicated to learning as your nephew was, but I have to work with what I go haha! :laugh:

He has a lot of cookbooks now. He received two more on his birthday. He DOES make batter for cakes, though at times, they may be the box cake batters. He has made some from scratch. I want to slowly wean him off semi-homemade cooking & into cooking entirely from scratch - like I often do, but that is going to take some time. He's still more or less a beginner cook, but as long as he's happy, then I'M happy with it! :wink:

Most breakfast foods are pretty easy to make, so stuff like crepes, waffles, bacon, etc. If you're REALLY worried that they'll burn themselves or something then they could help make salads and cold foods (sandwiches for example)

Day-Day on his birthday 4.jpg

That should be no problem for him, because he got THIS as one of his gifts for his birthday!! And like McDonald's, he's just LOVIN' it!! Hah!!
I am so happy & overjoyed for him that he likes to cook & bake and wants to make a career out of it!! :wink: :hungry:

I think it's good to get the kids involved in the kitchen from an early age. My son used to help me in serving the food. He started with making sandwiches and similar recipes which didn't require working on gas stove. Now he is 18 years old and can cook quite a few things like soups, noodles, oats ,smoothies, sandwiches etc.

DeDe with birthday cake 2.jpg

Here he is on his 12th birthday with a birthday cake that looks like a burger!! Hah!!

It's the same pic that appears in my avatar!:wink:

Back
Top Bottom