Food on the go

On dive trips we would have slices of Hebrew National beef salami, cheese chunks and sometimes fruit slices or chunks. Unless it was lobster mini season (where you could walk to Bimini across the number of boats on the ocean), these don't present a problem while driving.

If I'm driving, the food must be "One Hand Operation".
Totally agree - if a driver is going to eat at the wheel it definitely needs to be "one hand operation" :okay:

Honestly, I try to keep both hands on the wheel… Don't eat or text while driving. That's just me. Have a safe trip.
Thanks. Using a mobile phone with your hands whilst driving is actually illegal over here (6 points on your licence and a £200 fine)....neither of us would ever consider texting at the wheel. Is it legal to use a handheld phone in the US? Occasionally eating something easy to hold or taking a drink is no different to changing gear though: you do it with your spare hand and there's no need to take your eyes off the road. Its not something we routinely do, and nor would we try it driving around town, but travelling at a steady speed on a quiet motorway its fine.

When I run out of steam, I pick up a platter of mini Croissant sandwiches from the deli - ham and cheese, roast beef and cheese, turkey and cheese. Comes with cherry tomatoes scattered about, on romaine lettuce. Easy to make at home if you can find mini croissants, but at $12.99 a platter, it's a pretty good deal. Add some fruit or grapes to go with.

Last edited:
Personally I refuel me at the same time as I refuel my vehicle. I'm like your hubby, once I'm on the road I don't like to stop.
But I hate eating on the go, I prefer a quick sanga while on the fuel station slip road.

We're just back from a similar trip but on rough dirt roads which were sometimes winding up and down roads where the driver must keep attention on the road at all times and where you can't stop unless your vehicle stops for you ! Here the only way of even taking a drink of water is with the aid of the passenger handing it to you , waiting for you to be able to take it from them and then sending it back their way sometimes upside down.. .:eek:
bike bottles are very useful here because they don't spill when dropped .

Anyhow I guess I'm saying I'm not sure why the passenger can't be of assistance in this instance. It's certainly what we do and have done for decades, literally. It was not unknown for us to find ourselves in the outer reaches of the Orkney islands requiring 2 ferry journeys just to get back to the Main Island (that's it's name) before catching another ferry to get to mainland Scotland close to John O'Groats (far north coast of Scotland for those not in the UK) then driving to just outside of Portsmouth on the south coast of England. We frequently did just outside of Portsmouth to Inverness (mid to North Scotland) roughly 600 miles in one day . We've also been known to drive from the ferry at Esberg in Denmark to a small island a day's drive north of Stockholm, in one go.

There's no reason why things like jacket potatoes can't be made in advance and sliced into wedges to be eaten. Roast sweet potato can also work just go easy on the oil to keep hands clean . A dip is handy here with either the passenger holding up the dip in its pot, for the driver (we use around the gear lever because that is where the hand is used to going ) or the passenger dipping it in and carefully handing it over (the passenger getting the dirty hands not the driver). Anything that is in pieces either one or two bites large can be done this way. raw veg dipped into hummus is another one. Small things like stoned/pitted olives are another and will force the driver to remember to drink enough. We always end up dehydrated on long journeys. Bite size pieces of quiche or tart are another one. The passenger cuts it up in situ so to speak. Taking a piece of quiche or similar really isn't any different to taking a crisp (UK term) or biscuit (UK definition again) whilst driving.
We only use our bike bottles when drinking whilst driving (yeah I know :drink:) because we have the safety and security of knowing that if anything happens, we can just drop them and not spill anything at all and that's why bite sized food is so useful. Just about anything can be made bite sized provided it's 'solid' enough. Even mini pies or pasties (though we prefer the normal sized ones with the passenger ready to take it back at a moments notice) are easy to eat and easy to prepare in advance and be eaten cold (or warm on the first day of you plan it correctly ). Pasties are one of our favourite with a variety of fillings. Sausage rolls can work well if made with shortcrust pastry and we've even been known to eat (vegan ) sausages that were cooked in advance (ideally not fried). It's one of the few times that wet wipes are sometimes used. (warm water on a small towel works just as well and tastes much better when you've forgotten and put a finger into your mouth to free that annoying bit of trapped food between two teeth ).

Interestingly, it is technically illegal to eat and drive at the same time though you'd only get charged with dangerous driving or driving without due care and attention (and usually only if something has happened) unless you're in Japan where I understand it is illegal to even chew gum whilst driving, don't even consider sneaking a Polo mint or Mentos (or similar).

Basically, you're travelling in a mobile kitchen. Will that fit through the tunnel? :ohmy:
LOL we do need to on the single deck part of the train (with the coaches)

bike bottles are very useful here because they don't spill when dropped .

Anyhow I guess I'm saying I'm not sure why the passenger can't be of assistance in this instance
Yes non-spill sport bottles are really useful - we do the same :okay:
And yes, the passenger (me!) does the sorting out and passing things across to the driver - the whole idea being that he can take something and eat it within a bite or two without having to take his eyes off the road.

Interestingly, it is technically illegal to eat and drive at the same time though you'd only get charged with dangerous driving or driving without due care and attention (and usually only if something has happened) unless you're in Japan where I understand it is illegal to even chew gum whilst driving, don't even consider sneaking a Polo mint or Mentos (or similar).
I wasn't aware of the rules in Japan - that's very strict! :ohmy: In the UK though your driving would have to be pretty impacted for driving without due care (and seriously impacted for dangerous driving)....they're pretty serious offences. Its true that some people have been found guilty of not in proper control for eating at the wheel...but usually there's an extra element to it eg. eating a banana which requires peeling and therefore both hands off the wheel. Which obviously is a totally crazy thing to do.

In the UK though your driving would have to be pretty impacted for driving without due care (and seriously impacted for dangerous driving)....they're pretty serious offences. Its true that some people have been found guilty of not in proper control for eating at the wheel.
No it doesn't. You only need to be seen causing an issue ,causing someone to swerve to avoid you for the former (or similar) and for food/drink to be the cause of an accident for the latter .

I should not get involved in this discussion. Here you only need to pay ฿ 5,000.00 (£ 125.00) and everything is forgotten.

No it doesn't. You only need to be seen causing an issue ,causing someone to swerve to avoid you for the former (or similar) and for food/drink to be the cause of an accident for the latter .
If your driving causes someone else to swerve then I'd describe that as impacted.....
Getting a bit off-topic here, but the point I was making is that the act of eating or drinking in itself is not illegal, but should it have an impact on your driving then that is when it becomes an issue.

I should not get involved in this discussion. Here you only need to pay ฿ 5,000.00 (£ 125.00) and everything is forgotten.
LOL

More kabobs/skewer ideas

Antipasti kabobs
On skewers or toothpicks, thread marinated artichoke hearts, cherry tomatoes, cheese cubes or small mozzarella balls, olives, bread cubes… whatever you like.

BLT tortilla pinwheels
Mix cooked crumbled bacon and chopped tomatoes with whipped cream cheese. Spread on tortillas, top with shredded lettuce. Roll up and refrigerate about an hour. Slice in about 1/2 - 1" slices. slices.Roll-ups/pinwheels are very versatile. Add whatever you like and have on hand.

Mixed fruit kabobs, strawberries, cubes of pound cake or a fruit assortment.

Last edited:
I recently completed a 1200 mile road trip and discovered a neat trick. I packed cherry tomatoes, blackberries, raspberries, blueberries, celery sticks, and carrots. Absolutely no mess, zero prep work, very healthy, inexpensive, and can be eaten with one hand. I realize that this does not constitute a recipe per se' but it does meet most of the other criteria.

Totally agree - if a driver is going to eat at the wheel it definitely needs to be "one hand operation" :okay:

Thanks. Using a mobile phone with your hands whilst driving is actually illegal over here (6 points on your licence and a £200 fine)....neither of us would ever consider texting at the wheel. Is it legal to use a handheld phone in the US? Occasionally eating something easy to hold or taking a drink is no different to changing gear though: you do it with your spare hand and there's no need to take your eyes off the road. Its not something we routinely do, and nor would we try it driving around town, but travelling at a steady speed on a quiet motorway its fine.

Right now, in Florida, it is legal not sure about other states. They are trying to make texting while driving illegal and are encouraging "hands free" cell phone usage. They may be able to issue a citation for texting if they pull you over for something else.

Back
Top Bottom