Food(s) you like, but they hate to try

Grouchy

Über Member
Local time
4:14 AM
There are foods maybe you like, they don't. There's no need to make other people like it, but it won't hurt to talk about it. In other words, (1) reason why people shouldn't hate it without trying it. And (2) how they're best eaten/handled.

Durian is one of those foods without a doubt, have lot of haters. The pungent smell stops plenty of people from trying or really taste it. As that's one obvious food, I don't mean that one.

1) I like grass jelly. I didn't know some people are :sick: grossed out by it. It is listed in an article of nastiest canned foods. What is so awful about black coffee color jelly with clean herbal taste to it? Maybe people think of the grass we sit on at the park. Grass jelly isn't made of grass- it's just a name.

2) My recommended way to handle grass jelly, is to first cube or julienne it .
-Add it to milk, soy milk, milk tea, or coffee.
-For a more jello approach, eat it in a bowl with a drizzle of your preferred syrup or add cubes of ripe mango.
-Top the grass jelly cubes with one scoop of ice cream/sorbet (you may notice it simply goes well with milk).

:coffee: Do you have a dish in mind :hungry: ?

tumblr_lhzci3Rogm1qggo8fo1_500.jpg

( photo from : http://tumblewe3d.tumblr.com )

Durian tastes wonderful! But I had never heard of grass jelly. Having looked it up I'm convinced I'd like it - but not in a dessert (although I would certainly try it). I'm not a great fan of sweet stuff in general. But on to your question. There are many many things that I love and others don't. Even here on this forum of 'foodies' there are lots of ingredients which produce a 'bleh' response from some members! Blue cheese, for example or oysters. I love both. In fact oysters would probably rank as one of my absolute favourite foods. Of course it can be a matter of taste - and I will always respect other's opinions if they are willing to try the food. But I think its quite often a matter of simple prejudice or 'what people are used to'. We all know the story of the elderly family member who wouldn't eat that 'foreign' garlic - but when it is secretly put into a dish, they gobble it up with relish! My Dad was a case in point!

But here is a sort of list of things I love but some others won't try: Anchovies, blue cheese, runny yolked or softly boiled eggs (that one surprised me - it was on this forum from more than one member), mushrooms, caviar, capers, any sort of fish with bones or skin, any sort of fish except for breaded or battered fish, any fish that smells of fish (!), crab. lobster, mussels, tofu, brussels sprouts, liver, kidneys - well offal of all kinds, black pudding, haggis, bitter gourd, squid, prawns/shrimp, fennel, celery, any kind of rare meat, game.

I tried durian on vacation in Malaysia and the smell itself blew me away so much that I didn't really notice the taste of it...I was just too overwhelmed by the stench!

One food that I can think of here in Japan that people like (but I can't stand) is natto, or fermented soybeans. They smell awful, they're all goopy and the texture is just wrong. But a lot of Japanese people adore them and encourage people to try them. Lots of health benefits to them too. But oh, the smell. If things are overwhelmingly stinky they could taste amazing and I'll still be like "I think I'll pass!" :sick:

Organ meat! Most people have never actually tasted heart or oxtails or tongue and gross out at the thought. But if I sneak it on them and do not tell them what it is, they claim it is the best meat they have ever tasted :okay: Our US culture is so finicky about what they eat.

Organ meat! Most people have never actually tasted heart or oxtails or tongue and gross out at the thought. But if I sneak it on them and do not tell them what it is, they claim it is the best meat they have ever tasted :okay: Our US culture is so finicky about what they eat.

Oxtails are actually so much better than beef itself! It's more expensive though obviously since a cow only has one!

I have had grass jelly and I found the texture really gross. However, once I got over that it really was not that bad. Some soymilk and some fruit and it makes a great little dessert! Durian though I'm not entirely sure of. i've heard it's famous for it's smell.

When I tell my US friends that I eat chicken feet they give me looks, strange looks. In fact chicken feet are pretty good. Just like when I mention that sometimes we make soup that has goats testicle in it!

@aquaticneko I prefer to let folks eat first, then tell them what they have eaten!! We also eat chicken feet (and turkey, duck, goose, etc) - mmm, and they make THE best broth! Lucky for us, we grow all our own meat, so have access to all the 'good' stuff. We also can get as much as we want free from our cow butcher. He says that people who have their animals butchered do not want the organs or pig fat! Crazy people!!

@aquaticneko I prefer to let folks eat first, then tell them what they have eaten!! We also eat chicken feet (and turkey, duck, goose, etc) - mmm, and they make THE best broth! Lucky for us, we grow all our own meat, so have access to all the 'good' stuff. We also can get as much as we want free from our cow butcher. He says that people who have their animals butchered do not want the organs or pig fat! Crazy people!!

In my opinion most people throw away the best parts! Meats closest to bone has the most flavor! haha.. I think we both share this sentiment.

@morning glory
I have to say that is a lot of food people are missing out! I like durian served cold or as smoothie. To me it still smells fruity. well, except when you toss the shell or tougher bits in the closed garbage bin in summer. Really bad idea.

@cupcakechef
Maybe you have to hold your nose (haha). I get that people can't taste it because of the smell. It's suppose to be sweet with a custard mouth feel. It'd also need to be fairly ripe. I myself have a few foods I just can't be excited about. I didn't notice the smell of natto. Once you add soy sauce or wasabi, you might find it less blah. I end up playing with the sticky strands it makes.

How do you sneak organ meat in a dish? isnt there some gamey taste? I have problem enjoying pig liver and intestines that my cousins insist on.

Oxtails are actually so much better than beef itself! It's more expensive though obviously since a cow only has one!

I have had grass jelly and I found the texture really gross. However, once I got over that it really was not that bad. Some soymilk and some fruit and it makes a great little dessert! Durian though I'm not entirely sure of. i've heard it's famous for it's smell.

When I tell my US friends that I eat chicken feet they give me looks, strange looks. In fact chicken feet are pretty good. Just like when I mention that sometimes we make soup that has goats testicle in it!

Great that you got over the initial reaction to grass jelly :)

Durian is not bad in taste. Just not sure how your nose takes it. I don't know why some say they taste onion flavor.

Chicken feet can be found at nearly every Chinese dim sum place. So it's nothing weird. It is funny how your US friends would react that way :D

How do you sneak organ meat in a dish? isnt there some gamey taste? I have problem enjoying pig liver and intestines that my cousins insist on.

You can always try soaking the meat in buttermilk first? That can remove the off taste you can get if you are not used to it. That was always what I was told anyway.

@Grouchy The circle of friends I have in the US only use the choice parts of the chicken, they are so ignorant as to where the rest of the food goes. The idea of my eating chicken feet to them is disgusting. I don't even both mentioning pigtails, oxtails, cowfoot and the works.

You can always try soaking the meat in buttermilk first? That can remove the off taste you can get if you are not used to it. That was always what I was told anyway.

@Grouchy The circle of friends I have in the US only use the choice parts of the chicken, they are so ignorant as to where the rest of the food goes. The idea of my eating chicken feet to them is disgusting. I don't even both mentioning pigtails, oxtails, cowfoot and the works.

Oh right I have heard that milk works on lamb. But I am in no way bothered by lamb. Maybe it's the way the intestines are prepared then. Basically they stuffed a pig intestine with another intestine. This gets cooked in a sort of broth of other organs. It was good texture. It's just a shame all I tasted was the very pig tasting gaminess.

I feel that I am missing out on that dish. For certain, it's not like you would get chicken feet breath (haha).

Pig liver and thousand year old egg (the yolk part) makes me have same blah reaction.

I do not eat pork, so can't comment on that! The smell of any pork makes me feel ill. But I find that organ meat from a healthy raised animal does not have a bad or gamey taste. I suspect that pasture raised pork would be very tasty. You have not lived until you have eaten beef tongue! OMG, it is the tenderest, tastiest meat there is. And heart. I made some and my girlfriend asked how I seasoned it - I hadn't seasoned it at all. It is just a very tasty cut of meat.

I do not eat pork, so can't comment on that! The smell of any pork makes me feel ill. But I find that organ meat from a healthy raised animal does not have a bad or gamey taste. I suspect that pasture raised pork would be very tasty. You have not lived until you have eaten beef tongue! OMG, it is the tenderest, tastiest meat there is. And heart. I made some and my girlfriend asked how I seasoned it - I hadn't seasoned it at all. It is just a very tasty cut of meat.

I'm not sure how healthy is the pig then :laugh: I have wondered why sometimes there's a strong gamy taste. Pig liver is one those I try (and try) and still can't really like it. Something about it, bothers me just like the yolk in thousand year old egg.

I think I had beef tongue in an Chinese casserole pot of cow innards. It looked like cow tongue. Now I'm not sure. It was a soft slab of unrecognizable meat that was in coffee brown broth. I'll keep in mind to try cow heart :D

Back
Top Bottom