Food Trucks

cupcakechef

Veteran
Local time
2:14 PM
Japan (expat by way of Australia and USA)
I put this in outdoor cooking (because I wasn't quite sure - it was a "best fit" type situation!) but I'm wondering if where you live there's much of a food truck culture happening.

Right now here it seems to be gaining popularity. I'm about 40km out of Tokyo right now, and even in my neighborhood there are a couple of food trucks that have set up - one of which is a taco/Mexican type one! Yet to try it, but I'll report back soon if I do.

What do you think about food trucks? I find them fun and quirky!

I love food trucks! There are a lot of them here in my area and the variety of food is incredible. The food's quite affordable too. I find that a lot of the up and coming young chefs usually test out their new recipes in our area so we're always getting something unique and fresh. I remember there being a special type of crab/lobster hotdog which I am craving right now. Whoever started the food trucks are geniuses.

Setting up trucks or vans and selling from the back of them is a popular thing in my country. These are usually set up in areas where there are establishments where people work, so that during their lunch hour, the workers would come out and buy from these trucks. I have bought some very nice lunches from these trucks/vans already. I found it to be very convenient, even though I used to carry my own lunch more often than I would buy from these trucks. Apart from the convenience, buying from the trucks/vans worked out to be more expensive, so I always looked upon it as a luxury to be enjoyed from time to time.

Would you believe that you will find food trucks only in Makati City? That's the business hub of the country. Food trucks serve breakfast and snacks but most of those trucks also serve food in plastic for take away. Most of the employees in the buildings would buy food in plastic bags to be eaten inside their offices. The food truck business is brisk in that area since most office employees, particularly the low-salaried are used to that culture of buying food from the food trucks. May I add, some food trucks cook their food right there in the street.

Food trucks serve the working areas for breakfast and lunch during the week and in the tourist sections of downtown DC. I have also seen some food trucks in areas that have a large latino population, the food must be good judging from the lines the form to get the food.

Caribbean girl have you actually seen a truck? I have seen just a few, but several vans. I've known them to go to several construction sites and do extremely well. I have a customer who says his big truck set up never moves and he does exceptionally well. I am not a big fan of the small vans. I often question the set up and hygiene but I could see how it could be a fun thing especially if I am the one doing the cooking and serving.

I
I put this in outdoor cooking (because I wasn't quite sure - it was a "best fit" type situation!) but I'm wondering if where you live there's much of a food truck culture happening.

Right now here it seems to be gaining popularity. I'm about 40km out of Tokyo right now, and even in my neighborhood there are a couple of food trucks that have set up - one of which is a taco/Mexican type one! Yet to try it, but I'll report back soon if I do.

What do you think about food trucks? I find them fun and quirky!
It seems like food trucks are all the rage now, especially in the urban areas. Many have branched out and started to sell really innovative cuisine. I think that the options to get various types of cuisines usually at a reasonable price has made people very interested in food trucks and what they can offer.

Caribbean girl have you actually seen a truck? I have seen just a few, but several vans.

I can agree with you here winterybella. The vans seem to be more popular around here than the trucks. There are small vans, medium-sized vans, and bigger vans, but I have also seen a few trucks on occasion, doing a similar business. Apart from the actual food, they also sell drinks, pastries, cakes and other snacks.

Food trucks are definitely gaining popularity and I am completely okay with it! I love food trucks. I live close to the Los Angeles area and we are swarming with all sorts of food trucks. For some reason, people seem to get more creative when it comes to running out of a mobile station. I think it allows businesses to create the food that they want to see, rather than worrying about branding a restaurant.

Through the summer months food trucks were quite popular around here but now that the cooler temps are here most of them have closed up for the season. We started off the summer with one or two and towards the end of the season there were ten to twelve. I enjoy going to food trucks. I like the atmosphere and the uniqueness of them. Each truck usually specializes in one type of food like German, pastries, etc.

At festivals and shows food trucks are great ,varied foods ,and some really good quality ,I love to see the traditional pizza trucks with a wood burner in the back ,
I've never indulged but a local kebab truck serves better food than the local shop !

Not that I ever used them, but I remember kebab vans from when I lived in Oxford. They used to hang around near certain pubs at closing time. Strangely, I've mentioned this to people and quite a lot of them don't believe me. I can assure sceptics that these vans exist.

I would love to have my own food truck, but I would have to buy it outright because I would not want the vehicle payment. It would be fun to make some of my favorite small on the go foods and sell them to hungry people at lunch or events. There are a lot of permitting and health related issues to deal with though.

Last motorcycle rally we went on [quite a large one for over here in the UK] the number of different food trucks/vans was amazing. From traditional burgers to kebabs to Chinese to Italian. You could get everything from a full English breakfast in a bun [took some eating that] to a baked potato to a full chinese meal. Sadly most outdoor catering here consists of warm tea bad coffee and terrible:( burgers

I am a huge fan of these food trucks. It is part of the experience when you visit certain places and they have their trucks lined up serving all sorts of food. People love to eat and if you were able to make your own niche there you will find some loyal customers too. I am planning to put up my own in the future.

Back
Top Bottom