Food when I was growing up

Our lunch was peas from the garden or fruit we raided from a nearby orchard.
Planned as if a commando raid!!

Russ
We used to in people’s gardens and eat beans. That a kohlrabi. We would take them and wash them off with their outdoor water hose. Heck we even knocked on the door of one ladies house and asked for salt.

I was sitting here yesterday and I thought how things have changed. I never ate bacon or had a cooked brekky until I stayed at a mates place when I was 13.
There was never any money in our house for " extravagance " .
Our 4 grandkids are 14 and under. Their choice of brunch would be unheard of in my day. I'm not knocking kids that had money behind them, just different circumstances we all have growing up as kids.
We were always warm and safe growing up, and know others had it worse.
Life has come full circle.

Russ

I was sitting here yesterday and I thought how things have changed. I never ate bacon or had a cooked brekky until I stayed at a mates place when I was 13.
There was never any money in our house for " extravagance " .
Our 4 grandkids are 14 and under. Their choice of brunch would be unheard of in my day. I'm not knocking kids that had money behind them, just different circumstances we all have growing up as kids.
We were always warm and safe growing up, and know others had it worse.
Life has come full circle.

Russ
I don’t remember my mother ever making bacon. I spent a large percentage of my time with my grandparents. They were not rich, but definitely weren’t hurting. Bacon was a daily staple.

I don’t remember my mother ever making bacon. I spent a large percentage of my time with my grandparents. They were not rich, but definitely weren’t hurting. Bacon was a daily staple.

You were indeed lucky. I spent a lot of time at my grandparents as a kid as well.
They weren't rich but granddad come home from 4 years in polish p.o.w camp.
Money was spent wisely. No ba on but they kept chooks.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom