Food you have never eaten but would like to try

In Italy we have about 6 types of artichokes: the most famous are Sardinian artichokes with thorns and Tuscan violette artichokes..and we cook them in various manner: raw for salad, fried, boiled,puree...I really love artichokes, they have a particularly taste but very good.

6 types! :eek: We just get one type in the UK - and they are hard to find!

I remember once buying a huge globe artichoke at a farmer's market from a stall that was selling just this! Just cost £1 but was - by far - the most tastiest, full on flavour of this vegetable I have ever tasted!

My mum used to take out the choke and then stuff them with crumbs, olives, eggs and some sausagemeat, then steam them!

I tend to just steam them (once dechoked) and (having eaten the leaf bases) I eat the heart with a hot garlicy butter that has some lemon juice in it (the best bit!).

Oh yes...we are always so exagerate in Italy :giggle:..the main (and I think the only) regions where grow up the best artichokes are in the Tirrenian sea area (Lazio: very famous carciofi alla giudia), Toscana, Sardegna, Campania, Liguria...maybe also Calabria but I'm not so sure..

I remember once buying a huge globe artichoke at a farmer's market from a stall that was selling just this! Just cost £1 but was - by far - the most tastiest, full on flavour of this vegetable I have ever tasted!

My mum used to take out the choke and then stuff them with crumbs, olives, eggs and some sausagemeat, then steam them!

I tend to just steam them (once dechoked) and (having eaten the leaf bases) I eat the heart with a hot garlicy butter that has some lemon juice in it (the best bit!).

Oh yes! You understand! :D I think @epicuric needs to give it another go. And this time with a BIG one.:giggle:

IMG_1464.JPG

These guys were watching me at the meat counter this morning.

"I would not do a whole turkey. That is definitely out! :headshake: I'd do a small rolled up one. just to see what it is like. :wink:"

A whole turkey is an amazing thing, as various areas of the bird offer different flavors, & textures, Plus, they can be deep fried, spatchcocked (butterflied) and grilled, barbecued, smoked , made into amazing soup, etc. The turkey gizzrds and livers can be turned into delicious pate, or chopped and added to stuffing mixtures, or just boiled, slated, and munched. You can even take the carcass, break the bones, and make a wonderfully rich broth for soups, aspics, and so on. Whole turkey, I'm a fan.

And for the op's question, foods i haven't yet tried, but would love to - except for balut,cheese with maggots, and stinky cheeses, If I haven't tried it, I want to try it.

During my recent trip to Edinburgh I had the possibility to taste two specialties that I had never eaten: Black pudding and haggis. I have to admit that I had almost completely ruled out haggis (I do not like sheep meat) But I'm a very curious person and so I tried also haggis. I did not like it but I tried. Instead I enjoyed a lot the black pudding. I like to discover new things!

Last edited:
I love boiled artichokes, served with shrimp, or lobster tails, and drawn butter, and mayonaise (in separate finger bowls). We sit in front of the television each of us with the seafood and an artichoke.Before boiling the artichokes, we cut the pointy tips from the leaves with scissors. We then idp the leaf bottoms into either the butter, or mayo, and scrap with out teeth until we get to the tende leaves. Whe the leaves are gone, rmove the choke and again, dip it in butter or mayo and sve the amazing flavor. Of course, you are eating the seafood the same way, dipped in butter and eaten at whatever spped you want.

Artichokes, in my opinion are best served as part of the mainn dish, with kebabs, lober tail, orshrimp. Cooked steak, cut into squares and eaten along side is also very good.

Seeeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind
"There is no success that justifies failure within the home.

I love boiled artichokes, served with shrimp, or lobster tails, and drawn butter, and mayonaise (in separate finger bowls). We sit in front of the television each of us with the seafood and an artichoke.Before boiling the artichokes, we cut the pointy tips from the leaves with scissors. We then idp the leaf bottoms into either the butter, or mayo, and scrap with out teeth until we get to the tende leaves. Whe the leaves are gone, rmove the choke and again, dip it in butter or mayo and sve the amazing flavor. Of course, you are eating the seafood the same way, dipped in butter and eaten at whatever spped you want.

Artichokes, in my opinion are best served as part of the mainn dish, with kebabs, lober tail, orshrimp. Cooked steak, cut into squares and eaten along side is also very good.

Seeeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind
"There is no success that justifies failure within the home.

I'm absolutely agree with you @Chief Longwind about the goodness of artichokes, I'm a fan. I eat them in all the ways, even raw in salad. But the ones I prefer are fried or even baked in the oven simply with garlic, basil, grated bread and some mint leaves (as used in Roma).

Back
Top Bottom