Foods that are surprisingly vegan

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
3:55 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
OK so the first things I am going to name are snacks/biscuits but if you are vegan (or like myself allergic to dairy) you will appreciate this more than others will!

McVities Hobnobs, original and choc chip. For some reason the dark chocolate covered ones now contain dairy, though they didn't used to. http://www.veganoo.net/2013/05/new-hobnob-choc-chip-biscuits.html

hobnobs.jpg and 20130528-biscuits-hob-nob-choc-chip-1-pack.jpg

Another one that surprised me is Lotus Caramelised Biscuits and according to their website all their biscuits except for the chocolate covered version are suitable for vegans. And I understand that there is a Lotus

L_LOTUS.jpg 20130412-biscuits-speculoos-caramelised-lotus-1-pack.jpg

Finally I have just found out that Tesco's Choc Dipped Waffle Cones are also vegan... :whistling:

IDShot_225x225.jpg

So what other's are there please?

This is really useful information to me. My daughter recently became pescatarian. I was surprised at the amount of snack foods that contained some kind of meat product in, such as gelatin. I have been having to read every packet as I buy it.

I absolutely love HobNobs if I must have any store bought sweets. They are one of the very few vegan store sweets that you can buy in Ghana. Oaties are also vegan as well as Royalty Ginger Biscuits.

Going through the Kettle crisp range, the following are vegan

packShot150-2.png packShot150-1.png packshot150.png packshot40.png packShot150-3.png 0_packshot150.png 0_packshot150.jpg 1_packshot150.jpg veg_packshot125.png

Sadly one or two flavours which you would have thought would be vegan such as sweet chilli are not because of the manufacturing methods used for refining sugar which is in the product, but at the same time they mark the product suitable for vegetarians just not vegans - I guess they must think we are stricter with our choices or just better informed!

This link here also has a surprising list of foods from Aldi that are vegan.
www.veganoo.net/2014/10/vegan-shopper-aldi-haul.html

Potato Gnocchi (Italfresco added milk recently, so vegan gnocchi is harder to find)
Malt Loaf (Soreen has whey in it, but look out for their banana loaf which is vegan)
Marzipan Stollen (stollen often has butter or egg in it)
Dark Chocolate (without butter oil, lactose, milk fat or other contaminants)
Mince Pies (vegan ones are fairly common but Mr Kipling's are never vegan)
Fruit Tea Cakes (often has milk or egg in)
Jelly Fruit Pots (without gelatin or carmine)
Bruschetta Garlic Bread (with olive oil instead of butter)
Soya Milk (see our warning about the Vitamin D though)
Muesli (without honey or milk powder)
Mint Chocolate Thins (without butter oil, unlike After Eights)
Chocolate Crisp Thins (no milk ingredients)
Milled Linseed (with goji berries - in Aldi!)

This is really useful information to me. My daughter recently became pescatarian. I was surprised at the amount of snack foods that contained some kind of meat product in, such as gelatin. I have been having to read every packet as I buy it.
Thats true and as a vegan for almost three years, it was hard to get over the hump with sweets at first, The vegan baking revolution is not a big as the vegan meat substitutes. Back to nature is a good vegan choice for cookies, but Whole Foods has the most variety of sweets for vegans.

One brand of pastry I frequently use is vegan. Somehow I missed it off this list.

Jus Rol pastry is vegan with the exception of the range than explicitly states butter...

Which products are suitable for Vegetarians?
All Jus-Rol Ingredient Pastry is suitable for vegetarians and is approved by The Vegetarian Society.

Which products are suitable for Vegans?
All Jus-Rol Ingredient Pastry is suitable for vegans except our All Butter and Sweet Shortcrust products which contain butter.

Is Jus-Rol gluten free?
Unfortunately Jus-Rol contains gluten as it is made from wheat flour.

Is Jus-Rol free from milk, milk products and lactose?
All Jus-Rol Ingredient Pastry is free from milk, milk products and lactose except our All butter and Sweet Shortcrust products which contain butter.

Do any Jus-Rol products contain Celery/Eggs/Lupin/Milk//Mustard/Sesame Seeds/Soya/Sulphur Dioxide?
Any possible allergens that are required by law to be declared so will be identified, documented and if present labelled on the product packaging.

Do Jus-Rol contain nuts?

Our pastry products are all manufactured under stringently controlled hygienic conditions in nut - free production areas, however we cannot guarantee that there are no traces of nuts in our products.

What is the emulsifier mono and diglycerides of fatty acids?
Emulsifier is present in the margarine that we use in our pastry and stops the margarine and water in separating. The emulsifier is from vegetable origin.

Does Jus-Rol contain hydrogenated fats?
No, we do not use hydrogenated fats in any of our products.

Last edited:
Alright, this is some very helpful information, I am always scared to pick up most snacks from the supermarket because you never really know what is in them, I usually have an experience where the back of the pack doesn't satisfy me much with it's information! Thank you for sharing.

Yes, this is helpful and interesting because I thought foods like the Pringles chips were high on the no-no list because of GMOs or something like that. I get tired of reading labels and have backed off from a lot of snack items (which probably isn't a bad thing since most contain flour). I do like chips/crisps though so maybe I'll give Kettle another try.

How about doughnuts! Tesco's own brand appear to be free of dairy or eggs. But not particularly healthy! Also, lots and lots of pastas (noodles) are vegan.Those which aren't, have egg in them, so its quite easy to check the packet. Or what about chocolate. A lot of chocolate bars contain milk products, but some don't. For example Tesco's 74% Ecuadorian Dark Chocolate:
http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=279302262

The only problem is that most (like the one above) say they may contain milk or nut products. I think that means they are processed with machinery which also comes into contact with nuts and milk.

Like everyone has been saying this is quite some useful information. A person like me used to think vegan and immediately thought it would be some tasteless food but a vegan cookie I made sometime back changed my mind. Granted it was a box mix by Arrowhead Mills but it was surprisingly good. I think the cookie was reddish but the boxing sure looked like this one....
51i57tgI0iL._AA160_.jpg

How about doughnuts! Tesco's own brand appear to be free of dairy or eggs.
Tesco's own donuts may not vegan by their own admission. Their website says the contain eggs, though I can not actually see any eggs or egg components listed in the ingredients!
http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=251746303
Also, lots and lots of pastas (noodles) are vegan.Those which aren't, have egg in them, so its quite easy to check the packet
Pasta is expected to be vegan - this was a list of foods that are vegan but were not expected to be.
Or what about chocolate. A lot of chocolate bars contain milk products, but some don't. For example Tesco's 74% Ecuadorian Dark Chocolate:
http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=279302262
Dark chocolate varies because some does contain milk, but again the list here was for unexpectedly vegan foods like hobnobs original or choc chip which you would not have expected to be vegan because most biscuits are not.

Pasta is expected to be vegan - this was a list of foods that are vegan but were not expected to be.

Well, I would expect it to be vegan but someone posted not long ago about purchasing special Vegan Pasta - so I thought perhaps not everyone knows that most ordinary pasta is vegan.

Dark chocolate varies because some does contain milk, but again the list here was for unexpectedly vegan foods like hobnobs original or choc chip which you would not have expected to be vegan because most biscuits are not.
I am just showing my ignorance in vegan matters because I thought that all chocolate contained milk unless it was just cocoa powder or raw beans! :oops:

Back
Top Bottom